PIONEERS AND IMMIGRANTS
Anna Petford

Previous Next Pioneers & Immigrants Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 25/261
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Description Albumen print on Carte de Visite Mount, MARKS: Back: Ely/25/ELM STREET/OSHKOSH, WIS./BRANCH AT NEENAH." Inscription:"Mrs. Thos. B. Petford/5-8-1896"
Year Range from 1884
Year range to 1887
Medium Cardstock/Photographic Paper
Notes Bust view image of Anna Petford, Mrs. Thomas B. Petford, Jr.. Anna is pictured wearing a dark colored dress with a fine white-lace collar. Her hair is in a bun (with netting visible) and held in place by a hair comb. She wears round earings with a horizontal bar across the center that matches her scarf pin. Thomas Petford, Jr. imigrated to the United States with his wife Anna, father (Thomas Boting Petford Sr.), his mother Mary Lowesmore Petford, siblings; John, Henry (Harry), Mary Ann, and Elizabeth Jenkins and her husband John, in 1845. They came through the port of New York and Thomas Jr. went ahead of the family to Milwaukee, Wisconsin Territory and 114 miles beyond. The family soon followed in 1846. He first clerked for Augustin Grignon at his trading post on the Fox River, 1 1/2 miles north-east of the present site of Omro. In 1855 he leased the Grignon Hotel in Butte des Morts until he built the Petford Hotel in 1859. His wife Anna, born in May 2, 1825 in Worcestor, England and died May 8, 1896. They had two children, Thomas B. Petford III and Mrs. Ole Oleson.
Object ID P2002.3.10
Object Name carte de visite
People Petford, Anna
Place Oshkosh, WI
Print size 4 " x 2 1/2"
Subjects Portrait photographs
Female
Pioneers
Hotels
Immigrants
Emigration & immigration
Title Anna Petford
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009