WORLD WAR II
Officers of the Wisconsin State Guard

Previous Next World War II Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 926/959
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Getchel
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Description Gelatin print of the Officers of the Wisconsin State Guard, July 31 - August 1, 1943.
Year Range from 1943
Event World War II
Film Size 4" x 5"
Year range to 1943
Medium Photographic Paper
Neg # 11372
Notes Image of the Officers of the Wisconsin State Guard, July 31 - August 1, 1943. They were camped near Riverside Cemetery on Algoma Boulevard at 'Camp Oaks', named after Oshkosh Mayor George F. Oaks. The five officers wear khaki summer uniforms and garrison caps with the Wisconsin State Guard patch.
On 1 Feb. 1941, after the Wisconsin National Guard was federalized in October of 1940, the Governor (Julius P. Heil) directed the Adjutant General (MG Ralph M. Immell) to organize a state guard of 2,400 men to consist of a brigade of 3 infantry regiments with 32 rifle companies, 3 headquarters and service companies, and 3 bands, plus one MP Company and one Machine Gun Company. Each regiment consisted of 3 battalions of 4 companies each. By 30 June 1941, the organization was complete. Each company had 5 officers and 60 enlisted men. Uniforms were furnished by the state and rifles and ammunition by the federal government. Their uniforms were similar to, but distinctive from, the uniforms of the Regular Army. They were given an intensive course in home defense. On 30 June 1943, the organization consisted of 297 officers and 2,251 enlisted men. In 1946 with the reactivation of the Wisconsin National Guard, the Wisconsin State Guard was disbanded.
Object ID P2005.24.269
Object Name Print, Photographic
Place Oshkosh, WI
Print size 8" x 10"
Subjects World War II
Homefront
Wisconsin State Guard
Military camps
Tents
Officers
Title Officers of the Wisconsin State Guard
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009