WORLD WAR II
Wing Pinning Ceremony

Previous Next World War II Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 791/959
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Getchel
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Description Gelatin print of Wing Pinning Ceremony of the Civilian Pilot Training Program, February 1943.
Year Range from 1943
Event World War II
Year range to 1943
Medium Photographic Paper
Notes Group photograph of the Wing Pinning Ceremony of the Civilian Pilot Training Program at the Oshkosh State Teachers College in February 1943. They are lined up wearing uniforms similar to the Army Air Force Cadet's slate-blue uniforms with garrison caps, which were authorized for cadets from 1928-1940. Just visible on their left shoulders is the Civilian Pilot Traing patch of a white star on blue field with red disk in the center and the letters "CPT". They also proudly wear their flying wings. Taken at the gymnasium at the college.
The Civilian Pilot Training Program began at the State Teachers College in Oshkosh in 1939 for both men and women. They attended ground schooling classes in meteorology, aircraft design and control, flight theory, civil air regulations and thirty-five hours of flight instruction. Professor Frederick L. Caudle was instructor of ground training and Steve Wittman was the flight instructor. Seventy-seven students attended the 1942-1943 class alone. Most graduates went on to serve as pilots in the Army Air Force and United States Navy during World War II.
Object ID P2005.24.129
Object Name Print, Photographic
Place Oshkosh, WI
Print size 3 1/4" x 4 1/2"
Subjects World War II
Homefront
State Teachers College (Oshkosh)
Group Photographs
Male
Pilots
Civilian Pilot Training Program
Graduation ceremonies
Gymnasiums
Title Wing Pinning Ceremony
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009