WORLD WAR II
Party for the Aviation Cadets

Previous Next World War II Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 776/959
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Getchel
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Description Gelatin print of a Party for the Aviation Cadets at Oshkosh State Teacher's College, January 1944.
Year Range from 1944
Event World War II
Year range to 1944
Medium Photographic Paper
Notes Image of a dance held for the Aviation Cadets at the State Teachers College in Oshkosh, WI. Mr. & Mrs. Nile J. Behncke (Director of the Oshkosh Public Museum) and Mr. & Mrs. John A. Breese (teacher at the college) are leading the procession. The cadets and their dance partners are following. The gymnasium is decorated with American flags. Taken from the balcony.
Over 1500 students at the Oshkosh State Teacher's College enlisted for military service during World War II, forcing the lay-off of many of the college staff. In 1943 the college was chosen for an Aviation Cadet School for the United States Army Air Force's Air Force Training Command. The first contingent of 400 students arrived on March 29, 1943. 1,261 cadets of the 96th College Training Detachment were taught at the college for four months by seven officers and a group of Army enlisted men. They also took flying lessons at the Winnebago County Airport by Steve Wittman and his pilots. Swart Hall was used as their barracks. It was disbanded in July 1944.
Object ID P2005.24.114
Object Name Print, Photographic
People Behncke, Ethel J.
Behncke, Nile J.
Breese, John A.
Breese, Olive E.
Place Oshkosh, WI
Print size 3 1/4" x 4 1/2"
Subjects World War II
Homefront
Dance
Gymnasiums
State Teachers College (Oshkosh)
Cadets
United States Army Air Force
Parties
Title Party for the Aviation Cadets
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009