WORLD WAR II
Pistol

Previous Next World War II Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 550/959
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Description Walther P38 semi-automatic, locking breech 9mm pistol. Double action trigger mechanism with slide mounted safety catch on left side of slide. Marked "P 38" on left side of slide, along with the Nazi manufacture code "byf 44" and serial number "9844 a" Serial number is also stamped on front of frame. Right side of slide and left side above trigger stamped with Nazi acceptance stamp (Waffenamp) "WaA 135." Black Bakelite grips. Blued finish largely intact with only slight wear on muzzle and sharp edges of slide. Pistol has not been fired much. Adopted by the German Army in 1938 as a replacement for the Luger pistol., hence the P38 designation. Made by Walther, Mauser, Spreewerke, Fabrique Naionale in Belgium, and Waffenfabrik Brun in Czechoslovakia. The P38 was a very reliable, well like pistol. See: Guns in Combat by Chris Bishop (ed.) pp.185-188.

Donor served in an armored infantry unit in WWII and stated in a brief oral history that he took the arm from a captured Nazi soldier in the winter of 1945 for additional armament and took the weapon home after the war for use as home protection. See oral history dated May 21, 2004 in which he relates how and why he acquired this firearm.

Guilford "Bud" M. Wiley Jr. served in Company C, 17th Armored Infantry Battalion, 12th Armored Division, during World War II. He saw action in the European Theater of Operations and was wounded on April 12, 1945.
Dimensions H-5.25 W-1.5 L-8.5 inches
Year Range from 1944
Event World War II
Year range to 1945
Material Metal/Plastic
Object ID 2004.37.1
Object Name Pistol
Place of Origin Germany
Owned Wiley, Guilford M., Jr.
People Wiley, Guilford M., Jr.
Used Wiley, Guilford M., Jr
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009