WORLD WAR II
Ring

Previous Next World War II Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 522/959
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Description Ring filed from perplex (Plexiglas) most likely salvaged from a damaged B-17 or B-24 bomber during World War II. Ring appears rough with file marks, as if it is unfinished.

Ring was made by Orville Hansen, an Oshkosh man serving in the U.S. Army Air Corps in England during the war. He made souvenir items in his spare time and according to an oral history with his sister, Arleen Schroeder, she said that he used materials that he salvaged from badly damaged bombers.

Orville Elwyn Hansen was born July 18, 1915 near Eldorado, WI, the son of Margaret May Griffiths Hansen and Pearl Steven Hansen. He attended Slough Bridge School, Winnebago County, Wisconsin. Before World War II, he worked at Waite Carpet Company, Paine Lumber Company and Wisconsin Axle Division. He entered the U. S. Army on February 24, 1942. He was a corporal in the Army Air Force. His specialty was firefighter in England, Ireland, Wales and Norway. His decorations include the European-African-Middle Eastern Service Ribbon, Good Conduct Medal, and 7 overseas service bars. He served 3 years, 6 months and 17days and was honorably discharged on December 19, 1945. After returning home, he worked construction until his retirement. His hobbies were hunting, fishing and observing wildlife. He died May 11, 1984 and is buried in Zoar Cemetery, Rosendale, WI.
Dimensions W-0.5 Dia-1.25 inches
Dimension notes Width measured at top of ring and diameter measured across widest part.
Year Range from 1942
Event World War II
Year range to 1945
Made Hansen, Orville Elwyn
Material Plastic
Object ID 2002.110.10
Object Name Ring
People Hansen, Orville Elwyn
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009