WORLD WAR II
Joseph "Billy" Nigl

Previous Next World War II Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 269/959
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Winnebago County Historical Commission
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Description Gelatin print of Joseph "Billy" Nigl.
Year Range from 1942
Event World War II
Year range to 1943
Medium Photographic Paper
Notes Bust view of Joseph "Billy" Nigl. He is wearing an officer's service uniform with Army Air Force insignia on the lapels and embroidered bombadier's wings over his left breast pocket.
Joseph "Billy" Nigl was born April 19, 1921 in Oshkosh, WI, the son of Joseph M. Nigl. His father moved to Milwaukee and he lived with his grandmother Elizabeth Zindler. He graduated from St. Mary's High School and briefly attended the University of Wisconsin. He enlisted in the Army Air Force on January 26, 1942 and trained as a bombadier on the B-17 "Flying Fortress". He arrived in England on April 19, 1943 and few nineteen bombing missions with the 8th Air Force. He was reported missing over Hanover, Germany on July 28, 1943. On August 7, 1943 a shortwave broadcast listed his name as a prisoner of war and was confirmed by the Red Cross in September. He was held at Stalag Luft 3 and in 1945 transferred to Mooseberg, Germany and was liberated by Patton's 3rd Army on April 29, 1945. He returned to Oshkosh on a sixty day furlough in June 1945.
Object ID P2005.20.91
Object Name Print, Photographic
People Nigl, Joseph "Billy"
Print size 5" x 7"
Subjects Portrait photographs
Male
World War II
United States Army Air Force
Pilots
Casualties
Bombers
Missing in action
Prisoners of war
European Theater of Operations
Title Joseph "Billy" Nigl
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009