WORLD WAR II
Private Frank Karafotis

Previous Next World War II Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 169/959
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Winnebago County Historical Commission
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Description Gelatin print of Private Frank Karafotis.
Year Range from 1943
Event World War II
Year range to 1944
Medium Photographic Paper
Notes Full standing view of Private Frank Karafotis, 507th Paratroop Infantry Regiment. Frank is wearing the Service Uniform with Airborne Command patch on his left shoulder and paratroop qualification patch on his overseas cap. On his left breast he wears the Combat Paratroop badge, Good Conduct Ribbon, and marksmanship qualification badges. He wears his trousers tucked into his paratroop boots.
Frank Karafotis was was the son of George and Nea Karafotis, natives of Greece who settled in Oshkosh between 1940 and 1942. Frank tried to enlisted in the United States Marine Corps in 1942, but was rejected. In March 1943 he was drafted and went through parachute training in Nebraska. He was slightly injured during a parachute demonstration when he landed on concrete to avoid landing on parked airplanes. He became a member of the 507th Paratroop Infantry Regiment. His regiment parachuted on D-Day, June 5, 1944, and Frank was listed as missing in action. He was officially reported as killed in action on August 14. He was buried in Normandy, France.
Object ID P2005.20.1
Object Name Print, Photographic
People Karafotis, Frank
Print size 3" x 4.5"
Subjects Portrait photographs
Male
Soldiers
World War II
Paratroopers
Casualties
European Theater of Operations
D-Day
Title Private Frank Karafotis
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009