||Oshkosh Public Museum
||Gelatin print on cardstock of the C. J. Combs House on Washington.
|Year Range from
|Year range to
||Exterior view of the C. J. Combs House at 502 Washington Boulevard (Avenue). The house is a simple Queen Ann style frame structure; two and a half stories tall; with intersecting gables; multi-planed roof; and fish-scale shingled porch. The House was previously owned by Jay W. Hicks and built by him prior to 1893. Dr. Combs and family were living in the house by 1903. Jessie Clark Combs, wife, is standing at right; Nellie A. Combs, mother is standing second from right; and Dr. Combs is standing third from right. A servant is standing at far left in the side yard. The house is still standing at 1355 Washington Avenue (2005), but has been altered and is used as duplex apartments.
Clarendon James Combs was born in Macon County, MO on November 10, 1874, the son of James R. and Nellie A. Phillips Combs. He worked in a sawmill and taught in rural schools to raise money for his college education. He graduated from medical school at the University of Michigan in 1898. He was practicing medicine in Oshkosh by 1900. He married Jessie Gertrude Clark in Oshkosh on October 24, 1904. He was in the United States Army Reserves and was activated in August 1917. He entered World War I as a 1st Lieutenant and rose to the rank of Major and Surgeon. He served in the 89th "Middle West" Division in the 164th Artillery Brigade, and was surgeon for the 340th Field Artillery Regiment. He remained in the Army Reserve as commanding officer of the 370th Medical Detachment until November 30, 1938. He died following surgery for gall bladder and pancreatitis on July 19, 1939.
||Combs, Jessie Clark
Combs, Clarendon James
Combs, Nellie A.
Hicks, Jay W.
||8" x 10"
||C. J. Combs House on Washington
NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. © 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved
Last modified on: December 12, 2009