Previous Next
Record 133/678
Description 
Model 1917 Officers Service Coat and Breeches: coat is olive drab gabardine wool; five darkened bronze eagle buttons; four patch pockets with flaps and small darkened bronze eagle buttons; officer's mohair trim on cuffs; campaign ribbons on left breast; stand-up collar with Quartermaster Corps insignia; shoulder loops with Major insignia; 1 overseas stripe on left cuff. Used by Major Emil F. Kraning. Emil F. Kraning (Kroening changed to Kraning before 1908) was born in Germany in 1875. His family immigrated to America and settled in Oshkosh, WI. On July 11, 1893 he enlisted in Company F, 2nd Wisconsin National Guard. His enlisted records indicate that he was Five feet, 10 1/2 inches tall, with gray eyes and brown hair. and a wood worker by profession. He worked as a foreman at Diamond Match Company. He married Martha Damaske on November 17, 1894 in Oshkosh, WI. The couple had four daughters: Ruth, Lisetta, Ethel, and Rhea. During the Spanish American War he was a sergeant in Company F. On February 1, 1905 he was promoted to Captain and commanded Company F, and commanded the company during the Mexican Border War. On July 14, 1917 he was promoted to Major commanding the 3rd Battalion 6th Wisconsin National Guard. When the 32nd Division was formed in August 1917 at Camp MacArthur, Texas, Kraning was assigned to command the 107th Supply Train. He was on the USS Tuscania when it was sunk off the coast of Ireland by a German submarine. In France he became ill with trench fever and rheumatism and was relieved of command on July 1, 1918 and sent back to the United States. He died in 1931.
Uniform -WORLD WAR I -Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009