THE SPANISH AMERICAN WAR
Legging

Previous Next Spanish American War Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 144/160
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Description Pair of Pattern 1888 Canvas Leggings: three-piece cotton canvas construction; seven brass grommet holes on one side; six brass "Speed Lacers" on the other with grommet holes top and bottom on the other side; leather straps with steel buckles at the bottoms; cotton cord laces.

Used by Julius Nemitz, 2nd Wisconsin National Guard, during the Spanish American War. Julius A. Nemitz was born circa 1857 in Germany. He immigrated to the United States and settled in Oshkosh where he operated a clothing store with A. C. Ehrmann at 37 Kansas St. from 1886-89. Had his own store at 44 Main St. from 1889- c 1904. Operated a cement contracting company in Oshkosh and was City Overseer of the Poor c 1930. Wife's name Emma (1862-1926). Active in Wisconsin National Guard; enlisted in Company F, 2nd Wisconsin April 21, 1885; promoted to quartermaster sergeant March 17, 1886; promoted to 2nd Lieutenant June 26, 1886; promoted to 1st Lieutenant December 14, 1888; promoted to Captain and Regimental Quartermaster November 10, 1891: Assumed command of Company F March 30, 1892; Regimental Ordnance Officer in 2nd Wisconsin Infantry during Spanish-American War, 1898; promoted to Major June 13, 1899; promoted to Lieutenant Colonel January 1914. He died in Oshkosh in 1941 and is buried at Riverside Cemetery in Oshkosh.
Year Range from 1888
Event Spanish-American War
Year range to 1898
Material Canvas/Brass/Leather/Cotton
Object ID 2693-T25
Object Name Legging
People Nemitz, Julius A.
Used Nemitz, Julius A.
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009