Previous Next
Record 140/160

Next
Image 1 of 2

Description 
Pattern 1895 Officer's Forage Cap: dark blue wool crown 3 1/4" high; flat on top; black mohair band around base of crown; enameled leather visor with slight slope and bound edges; gilded brass Wisconsin State seal buttons on each side; gilt twisted cord chin strap with adjuster attached to buttons; gold embroidered officer's eagle on the front with a shield design in the center and stars around the eagles head; leather sweatband; black cotton lining with initials "J.A.N." (Julius A. Nemitz) embroidered in inside of hat in yellow thread; tag on inside with size of hat "7 1/8". Used by Julius Nemitz during the Spanish American War. Julius A. Nemitz was born circa 1857 in Germany. He immigrated to the United States and settled in Oshkosh where he operated a clothing store with A. C. Ehrmann at 37 Kansas St. from 1886-89. Had his own store at 44 Main St. from 1889- c 1904. Operated a cement contracting company in Oshkosh and was City Overseer of the Poor c 1930. Wife's name Emma (1862-1926). Active in Wisconsin National Guard; enlisted in Company F, 2nd Wisconsin April 21, 1885; promoted to quartermaster sergeant March 17, 1886; promoted to 2nd Lieutenant June 26, 1886; promoted to 1st Lieutenant December 14, 1888; promoted to Captain and Regimental Quartermaster November 10, 1891: Assumed command of Company F March 30, 1892; Regimental Ordnance Officer in 2nd Wisconsin Infantry during Spanish-American War, 1898; promoted to Major June 13, 1899; promoted to Lieutenant Colonel January 1914. He died in Oshkosh in 1941 and is buried at Riverside Cemetery in Oshkosh.
Cap, Forage -THE SPANISH AMERICAN WAR -Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009