THE SPANISH AMERICAN WAR
Uniform

Previous Next Spanish American War Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 110/160
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Description Pattern 1887 non-commissioned officer's uniform trousers: wool construction with interior cotton front pockets and interior waistband: black japanned buttons on fly and suspender buttons at waist. 1 1/4" white linen webbing (non-commissioned staff).

Used by Quartermaster Sergeant John Laabs during the Spanish American War. John H. Laabs was born in Oshkosh in 1874. He attended local schools and then worked for his father, Ferdinand Laabs, in the family flour mill, Relinance Flour Mill. He and his brother, Otto Laabs,owned the mill together from 1899-1901, when John sold his share to his brother. He lived in Oklahoma briefly, but returned to Oshkosh and operated a dry goods store. For three years he was deputy clerk in the courthouse. He became Clerk of Courts in 1910 and served until his death in 1920. He enlisted in Company B, 2nd Wisconsin National Guard around 1893. He rose to the rank of sergeant and in 1897 was made Regimental Drum Major and in 1898 was the Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant and served in Puerto Rico during the Spanish-American War. He became Captain of Company B on June 8, 1906. He is not listed on the rolls after 1912. He did not serve during World War I, but became a captain in the Wisconsin State Guard. He married Laura Schneider on November 8, 1905. He died at the age of 46 in 1920.
Dimensions W-18.5 L-45 inches
Year Range from 1887
Event Spanish-American War
Year range to 1898
Material Wool/Cotton/Tin/Linen
Makers mark PARIS
Object ID 382-3
Object Name Uniform
People Laabs, John H.
Used Laabs, John H.
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009