THE CIVIL WAR
Camp of the 14th Wisconsin

Previous Next Civil War Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 281/294
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Hancock
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Description Lithographic print of "Pittsburg Landing and the Camp of the 14th Wisconsin, May, 1862, Lieutenant Colonel John Hancock, Provost Marshall. Sketched by A. E. Mathews, 31st Ohio Volunteers."
Year Range from 1862
Event Civil War
Film Size 4" x 5"
Year range to 1863
Medium Paper/Ink
Neg # 23452
Notes View of "Pittsburg Landing and the Camp of the 14th Wisconsin, May, 1862, Lieutenant Colonel John Hancock, Provost Marshall." The print shows at least sixteen steamboats on the Tennessee River, including the US gunboats "Timber Clads" the Tyler and Lexington. Other steamboats identified are the "Silver Moon"and "Glendale". Guards, wagons and a shack are visible at the landing. On the bluffs are the conical tents in the camp of the 14th Wisconsin and two frame structures. Lieutenant Colonel John Hancock's 14th Wisconsin were assigned as the Provost Guard here following the Battle of Shiloh or Pittsburg Landing, on April 7, 1862.
John Hancock was born August 12, 1830 in Athens, Bradford County, Pennsylvania, the son of Jesse H. and Louisa M. Hancock. He resided at Athens prior to removing to Oshkosh, Winnebago County in 1856. John was engaged at Oshkosh as a partner in the law firm of Eighme, Kennedy & Hancock. He was listed twice in the 1860 federal census as residing in the city of Oshkosh. He was married in 1861 to Jennie Reardon. Jennie was born in Ireland about 1839, the daughter of Sarah C. Dwyer and Michael H. Reardon. John enlisted at Oshkosh on Apr. 21, 1861 and was assigned as Private in Company E, 2nd Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry He was commissioned as 1st Lieutenant in that company on April 23, 1861. John was then commissioned as Major in the 14th Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry on Oct. 3, 1861, which was formed at Camp Wood in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. He was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel of that regiment on April 7, 1862 and Colonel on June 17, 1862. He lead the regiment at the Battle of Shiloh and at the Battle of Corinth. He resigned his commission on Jan. 23, 1863 due to a disability. John returned to Oshkosh and his law practice. He was listed in 1868 as a partner in the law firm of Freeman & Hancock and was residing at 100 Washington Street in Oshkosh. He sold his property and removed to the state of Oregon in 1870 but not liking that country, he soon returned to Oshkosh. John was then elected as a Justice of the Peace. He removed to a farm near City Point, Jackson County in 1884. John was still listed as a member of GAR Post #10 at Oshkosh in 1888. He died on April 9, 1894 at City Point. He was survived by his widow and four children: John; Maude; Lee; and Louise Hancock. He is buried in the Old Catholic Section at Riverside Cemetery in Oshkosh.
Alfred E. Mathews was born in Stark County Ohio in June 1831. He enlisted as a Musician on 5 September 1861 at the age of 30 in Company E, 31st Infantry Regiment Ohio and was mustered in on 24 September 1861. He mustered Out Company E, 31st Infantry Regiment Ohio on 22 September 1864. He sketched the camp of the 24th Wisconsin Infantry at Pittsburg Landing and steamboats on the Tennessee River in May 1862, which was then made into a lithograph.
Object ID P2008.13.10
Object Name Print, Lithographic
People Hancock, John
Mathews, Alfred E.
Place Pittsburg Landing, TN
Print size 12" x 16"
Subjects Civil War
14th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry
Steamboats
Gunboats
Battlefields
Military camps
Military depots
Military police
Battle of Shiloh/Pittsburg Landing
Title Camp of the 14th Wisconsin
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009