Previous Next
Record 273/294

Image 2 of 2

Pattern (July 4) 1864 Type II .69 Caliber Cartridge Box: black leather box constructed of a wrap-around body with two end pieces and a cover flap sewn together; flap has embossed oval with "US" inside and a closure tab sewn and rivetted to underside; interior leather flap with "ears"; interior leather implement pouch with folding leather flap and tab closure; bottom has two black japanned roller buckles sewn and rivetted for use with a shoulder belt; bottom has pear shaped brass finial for closing the box flap; back has to horizontal leather straps for the shoulder belt sewn near top and two vertical straps sewn and rivetted in place for attachment to the equipment belt; interior has two tinned steel liners with bisected upper compartment and lower compartment. Interior flap has manufacturer's stamp of "R. NECE/PHILA." (Reuben Nece had the only contract for 5000 .69 caliber cartridge boxes to be delivered to Frankford Arsenal on October 29, 1864) and inspector's stamp of "F. A. SNIFFEN/U.S. ORD. DEPT./SUB.INSPECTOR". These cartridge boxes were not issued until near the end of the Civil War. This cartridge box is part of an assemblage used by Frank Winkler, who was discharged in November 1864. It is doubtful that this box would have been issued to him and was probably procured after the war and used in veterans parades. Franz "Frank" Joseph Winkler was born on December 28, 1841 in Lindwiese, Germany. He enlisted in Company E, 9th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry on October 25, 1861 at Stockbridge, Wisconsin. He mustered out on November 25, 1864 at the expiration of his term of service. He died December 24, 1926 in Chilton, WI.
Box, Cartridge -THE CIVIL WAR -Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009