THE CIVIL WAR
Carbine

Previous Next Civil War Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 264/294
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Description Wesson .44 caliber Rifle (Carbine), patented by Franklin Wesson on November 11, 1862 and manufactured by B. Kitteredge & Company, Cincinnati, OH: American black walnut butt stock with steel butt plate; sling swivel at bottom is missing; steel receiver which breaks open at top for loading .44 caliber rimfire cartridge; steel cone on receiver tang (unknown purpose); two-triggers (first trigger releases the breech) with trigger guard stamped with serial number 4271; steel octagon barrel with sliding cartridge ejector and adjustable rear sights (piece missing) stamped "WESSON WORCESTER MASS/OCT. 25, 1859 & NOV. 11, 1862"; blade front sight and sling swivel underneath is not present. The Wesson Rifle was technically a carbine used by cavalry troops. The US government only ordered 151 carbines, but many northern states purchased them for their cavalry: Kentucky 1,366; Indiana 760; Colonel Ripley's Regiment 150; Colonel Collins' Regiment 220; and several other states.
Dimensions W-1.5 L-41 inches
Dimension notes Weight = 5.75 pounds.
Year Range from 1862
Event Civil War
Year range to 1865
Made B. Kitteredge & Company
Material Wood/Steel
Object ID I96.6.28.30
Object Name Carbine
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009