Previous Next
Record 263/294

Previous
Image 2 of 2

Description 
U.S. Model 1816 Type III, .69 caliber muzzle loading musket, converted from flintlock to percussion: full length American black walnut stock; steel butt plate; steel lockplate stamped with Eagle and "U.S./N. Starr" and Middtn/Conn./1834"; steel hammer (vent hole for flintlock plugged with brass); steel trigger and trigger guard with sling swivel; round steel barrel with conversion to percussion at breech; long range adjustable sight added; three steel barrel bands with three steel band springs (middle band has sling swivel); upper band has leaf sight; ramrod in forestock. Originally manufactured by Springfield Arsenal as a flintlock, this particular musket was made under contract by N. Starr in 1834. Thousands of these muskets were converted to percussion in the 1850s. Some were rifled to accept the .69 caliber minnie ball and had long range sights added. Although considered a secondary arm during the Civil War, they were re-issued to the growing number of volunteer troops in both the north and south in the early part of the Civil War.
Musket -THE CIVIL WAR -Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009