THE CIVIL WAR
Drum, Snare

Previous Next Civil War Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 244/294
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Image
Enlarge Image
Image
Enlarge Image
Description Snare drum constructed of a painted wood cylinder with skin stretched across two hoops on the ends and held in place with two red painted wooden counter-hoops. The counter-hoops are held in place with adjustable ropes with leather cuffs. The blue painted background on the cylinder has a painted American eagle motif and shield; the eagle holds a red banner with white lettering: "REG. U. S. INFANTRY". "41" or "47" ("4" followed by a backwards "1" or "7") carved into word preceding the white lettering. The ropes are replaced. Interior paper label: "MANUFACTURED/BY/(H)ORSTMANN, BROTHERS & CO./Military Furnishers./Fifth & Cherry Streets,/PHILADELPHIA."

From the Arthur P. Kannenberg collection. He recorded the following in his catalog: "A snare drum which was used in the 47 Regiment U. S. Infantry during the Civil War. It was brought home by Private George Briggs who donated it at the time to the G. A. R. Post in Oshkosh." Kannenberg acquired the drum after the post was disbanded.
Dimensions H-12.5 Dia-17 inches
Event Civil War
Year range to 1865
Made Horstmann Brothers & Company
Material Wood/Leather/Fiber/Paint
Object ID 1998.22.13
Object Name Drum, Snare
Place of Origin Philadelphia, PA
People Briggs, George
Related Publications Oshkosh Public Museum Annual Report 1998.
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009