Previous Next
Record 238/294
Description 
Pattern 1858 Canteen: tinned iron oblate spheroid body with pewter spout soldered to top opening: cork stopper with steel ring and twine; brown jean cloth cover; three tin strap guides soldered to body; and woven cotton shoulder strap. Edward C. Owens was born on Mar. 18, 1846 at Montgomeryshire, North Wales. He was a son of Evan and Sarah (Morris) Owens. They emigrated to America in 1849 with their three children, John, Evan and Edward. They remained in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for a year. They then removed to Wisconsin and settled at Neenah, Winnebago County. Six years later they removed to a farm in the town of Oshkosh, Winnebago County where they were listed in the 1860 federal census. The three oldest children of Evan and Sarah Owens were born in Wales and the others were born in Wisconsin. In 1860 they moved to a farm in the town of Algoma, Winnebago County. Edward was reared on the family farm at Neenah and was educated in the common schools. He enlisted at Neenah on Sept. 17, 1863. He was assigned to Company C, 1st Wisconsin Heavy Artillery and was mustered out on Nov. 30, 1865 at Madison, Wisconsin. Edward had contracted small pox while at St. Louis, Missouri. After the war he took a course at a commercial college and then taught school for two years. In 1869 he was engaged as a bookkeeper for an Oshkosh firm and remained in that position for five years. Edward then removed to Stevens Point, Portage County. There he was engaged in the milling business for four years. In spring of 1876 Edward was married to Clara W., daughter of D.L. Johnson. She died in spring of 1884 at age 28 years. They had one child who died in spring of 1878 at age eight months. Edward then spent a year in the Black Hills area of South Dakota before returning to Oshkosh. He was employed by R.C. McMillen & Company, where he was stationed at Mitchell, South Dakota and was placed in charge of the company lumber yard at that place. He again returned to Oshkosh in the fall of 1880 and was given charge of the yards for that company in this area. Edward was listed in 1883 at P.O. Oshkosh. He had been receiving a pension of $6 per month since June 1881 for verrucose veins in his left leg. He was listed as a member of GAR Post #10 at Oshkosh in 1888. Edward was listed in the veteran section of the 1895 Wisconsin State census at P.O. Oshkosh. Emma B., his widow, was listed in 1905 as residing at 296 Elm Street in the city of Oshkosh.
Canteen -THE CIVIL WAR -Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009