THE CIVIL WAR
Cap, Forage

Previous Next Civil War Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 227/294
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Image
Enlarge Image
Description Chasseur style officer's forage cap constructed of low-crown wool body of four pieces; a lacquered leather visor; black leather chin strap; silk lining; paperboard reinforcement in the crown; leather sweatband; and brass eagle buttons on right side of chin strap; French knot sewn to the top of the crown in three rows indicating rank of Captain.

Worn by Surgeon Joshua Copp Noyes, 32nd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. Joshua Copp Noyes was born in 1840. He resided at Fairwater, Fond du Lac County when he was commissioned as 2nd Assistant Surgeon of the 32nd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry on December 9, 1863 and was promoted to 1st Assistant Surgeon on October 19, 1864. Joshua was promoted to Surgeon on February 1, 1865 and was mustered out on June 12, 1865. He was listed in 1868 as a physician boarding at 13 Washington Street in the city of Oshkosh, Winnebago County. Joshua was married in Winnebago County on April 8, 1869 to Catherine C. Strong. She was born in 1850. Joshua was listed in the veteran section of the 1885 and 1895 Wisconsin State census at P.O. Oshkosh. He was listed in 1888 as a member of GAR Post #10 at Oshkosh. Joshua was listed in the 1890 federal census as residing at 65 Washington Street in Oshkosh. He died in 1904.
Dimensions H-3.5 W-7 L-9.5 inches
Year Range from 1863
Event Civil War
Year range to 1865
Material Wool/Leather/Silk/Cotton/Brass
Makers mark Sanger and BR? Alexandria VA
Object ID 2941-9
Object Name Cap, Forage
People Noyes, Joshua Copp
Used Noyes, Joshua Copp
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009