Previous Next
Record 204/294

Previous
Image 3 of 3

Description 
Model 1855 cartridge box constructed of black leather with interior protective flap and exterior flap with leather closure tab and brass ferrule on bottom; a leather implement pouch with flap closure; two leather straps on back for attachment to the equipment belt; two leather straps for shoulder belt; two roller buckles on bottom for attachment to the shoulder belt; and a brass cartridge box plate with lead filled backing and two wire attachment loops secured to the box with a leather thong. Two tin cartridge box liners with upper compartment for loose cartridges and lower compartment for packages of cartridges. Oval stamped brass plate with "US" in center, lead filled back with two wire loops to attach to exterior flap. Leather shoulder belt attached at bottom buckles and through loops in back. "H E" carved into belt and holes punched in center for eagle breast plate (missing). The cartridge box would have contained 40 .58 caliber cartridges for the rifle musket. Object ID #76-8-T1, a brass officer's buckle with eagle design was found in the front pocket of the box. Donor's uncle was George H. Buckstaff. George Hardin Buckstaff was born on Mar. 8, 1837 at Dunbarton, Charlotte County, New Brunswick, Canada. He was a son of John and Lucy (McCurdy) Buckstaff. They removed with their family in 1850 and settled on a farm of 160 acres in the town of Algoma, Winnebago County. Their sons were all married and made their homes in the Fox River Valley of Wisconsin. George was reared on a farm and received a common school education at New Brunswick and for a few months after moving to Wisconsin. He resided on the family farm in Algoma and then moved into the city of Oshkosh, where he was to become one of the pioneers in the lumber and logging business. He enlisted at Oshkosh on Sept. 17, 1861 and was then assigned to Company A, 1st Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He was promoted to Corporal and then Sergeant of that company. During the battle of Chickamauga, Georgia on Sept. 19, 1863 George was wounded in the left hand and lost that thumb. He was mustered out at Milwaukee, Wisconsin on Oct. 13, 1864 at the end of his term of enlistment. George soon received an appointment as chief clerk in the Commissary Department at Louisville, Kentucky and remained in that position for a year. He returned to Oshkosh and engaged in the lumber business, being a member of the well-known Buckstaff Bros. & Chase. George was married in Winnebago County on Oct. 21, 1868 to Mattie Murray. George and Mattie had three children, a daughter and son who died in infancy, and George Eugene Buckstaff. George was listed in 1883 as residing at P.O. Oshkosh and receiving a pension of $4 per month for the loss of his thumb. Due to poor health, he temporarily retired in 1884. The business was closed in 1887 and George retired from active business as he was suffering from inflammatory rheumatism. He was listed in 1888 as a member of GAR Post #241 at Oshkosh. George held several political and elected positions after his term of military service. He was listed in the veteran section of the 1885 Wisconsin State census at P.O. Oshkosh and in the 1890 federal census as residing in the city of Oshkosh. George was also listed in the veteran section of the 1895 and 1905 state census at P.O. Oshkosh. He was listed in 1905 as residing at 210 Tenth Street in Oshkosh. Son George was then residing with him.
Box, Cartridge -THE CIVIL WAR -Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009