Previous Next
Record 198/294
Description 
Model 1855 percussion cap pouch constructed of pressed black leather sewn to a base; leather interior flap and "Shield Front" exterior flap; two sewn leather tabs on back for attachment to the equipment belt; rivetted closure tab on front and brass ferrule at bottom. Interior is partially lined with sheep skin and a small leather loop is for a cone pick. This carried percussion caps used for igniting cartridges in a musket and would have been worn on the right side of the equipment belt. James F. Sawyer listed his residence as Gibraltar, Door County when he enlisted there on Mar. 28, 1864. He was assigned as a private in Company K, 21st Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry and was wounded at Savannah, Georgia. He was transferred as unassigned to the 3rd (reorganized) Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry on June 8, 1865 and was mustered out on July 18, 1865. James was listed in the veteran section of the 1885 Wisconsin State census at P.O. Omro, Winnebago County. He was a charter member of GAR Post #7 at Omro and was the namesake of that post. Nancy E., his widow, was listed in the 1890 federal census as residing in the town of Omro at P.O. Omro. She provided his unit designation as above and information that he had suffered a bullet wound to his neck during his military service. He is buried with a simple military marker. Nancy was born on Feb. 26, 1830 and died on June 5, 1905. She was listed in 1905 as his widow and was then residing at 201 Exchange Street in the village of Omro. Both are buried at Omro Cemetery, Olin's Addition, Section A, plot 8.
Pouch, cap -THE CIVIL WAR -Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009