Cap, Forage

Previous Next Civil War Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 189/294
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Enlarge Image
Description Pattern 1861 Forage Cap or kepi. Blue wool felt with black leather brim and chin strap with brass buckles in strap and buttons on each end with eagle design; on one button hangs a black woven thread tassel; a brass letter "K" is on front of cap.

Used by James F. Sawyer, Company K, 21st Wisconsin Volunteer Regiment. James F. Sawyer listed his residence as Gibraltar, Door County when he enlisted there on Mar. 28, 1864. He was assigned as a private in Company K, 21st Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry and was wounded at Savannah, Georgia. He was transferred as unassigned to the 3rd (reorganized) Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry on June 8, 1865 and was mustered out on July 18, 1865. James was listed in the veteran section of the 1885 Wisconsin State census at P.O. Omro, Winnebago County. He was a charter member of GAR Post #7 at Omro and was the namesake of that post. Nancy E., his widow, was listed in the 1890 federal census as residing in the town of Omro at P.O. Omro. She provided his unit designation as above and information that he had suffered a bullet wound to his neck during his military service. He is buried with a simple military marker. Nancy was born on Feb. 26, 1830 and died on June 5, 1905. She was listed in 1905 as his widow and was then residing at 201 Exchange Street in the village of Omro. Both are buried at Omro Cemetery, Olin's Addition, Section A, plot 8.
Dimensions H-4.5 W-8 L-8 inches
Year Range from 1864
Event Civil War
Year range to 1865
Material Wool/Leather/Brass
Object ID 1086-1
Object Name Cap, Forage
People Sawyer, James F.
Used Sawyer, James F.
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009