THE CIVIL WAR
Mahala Hadley Sturtevant

Previous Next Civil War Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 184/294
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Description Albumen print on Cabinet Card mount of Mahala Hadley Sturtevant. MARKS: Ely Oshkosh/Back: Ely
25 Elm St./Oshkosh, Wis.
Year Range from 1883
Year range to 1887
Medium Cardstock/Photographic Paper
Notes Seated view of Mahala Sturtevant. The Sturtevants were early Oshkosh settlers and neighbors of the Sawyers. Their farm is now part of the Municipal Golf Course on Omro Avenue. Mahala Hadley was married to Nye G. Sturtevant in 1837. Nye Sturtevant was born in 1816 in Essex County, New York. He was close friends with Philetus Sawyer and the two travelled together to Wisconsin in 1849 and settled on a farm near Rosendale. The two men were also brothers-in-law, having married the Hadley siters Mahala in 1837 (Sawyer to Melvina). He came to Oshkosh about 1855. He ran a boarding house on Main Street (now Algoma Boulevard), but was farming by 1866. He was also involved in the lumber business. He had two children: John H. Sturtevant, who married Susa V. Hume on December 18, 1864, and Laverna (Olive) Sturtevant who married William T. Ellsworth on August 8, 1862. His farm was located on the corner of Main (Algoma) and Mill near the Algoma Bridge. He was friends and neighbors with the Philetus Sawyer family. He died February 13, 1883 in Oshkosh. His wife Mahala Hadley Sturtevant died April 5, 1895.
Object ID P2001.1.193
Object Name cabinet card
People Sturtevant, Mahala Hadley
Place Oshkosh, WI
Print size 4.25" x 6.5"
Subjects Victorian
Title Mahala Hadley Sturtevant
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009