THE CIVIL WAR
Captain William Zickerick and members of the 12th Wisconsin Light Artillery

Previous Next Civil War Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 110/294
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection William Zickerick
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Description Half plate tintype with decorative stamped brass mat with floral design and stamped brass decorative preserver of Captain William Zickerick and members of the 12th Wisconsin Light Artillery.
Year Range from 1863
Event Civil War
Year range to 1865
Medium Tin/Brass
Neg # 20705
Notes Half plate tintype copy of an earlier carte de visite image depicting 13 members of the 12th Wisconsin Light Artillery Battery. Six men are seated on a bench and the arms while seven are standing behind. There is a painted photographer's backdrop. Most of the men appear to be wearing Mounted Service Jackets. Two men in front hold bugles: one of whom is wearing a trimmed musicians jacket.
ZICKERICK, William - Capt., 12th Battery, Wisconsin Light Artillery
William was born on Sept. 8, 1825 at Greenrade, Bradenburg, Prussia. He was a son of Michael and Charlotte (Walgart) Zickerick, both natives of Prussia. William's parents brought all of their family except him to America in 1848, as he was then serving in a Prussian artillery regiment. William came to this country and landed at New York on May 1, 1848. He immediately travelled to his father's farm at Lomira, Dodge County. During the following winter William was engaged in lumbering and building a sawmill, which he continued until 1854. He was married on Apr. 20, 1853 to Henrietta Zimmermann. In 1854 he followed his inclinations and was then connected with the Evangelical Association of North America. William entered the ministry and continued actively in that position for 34 years. He received a recruiting commission on Nov. 25, 1861 and began to gather men for the 12th Battery, Wisconsin Light Artillery William was mustered into that Battery with a commission as 1st Lieutenant on Mar. 1, 1862. He was promoted to Captain of that company on July 18, 1862. William was taken sick with a fever at Iuka, Mississippi and was sent to the hospital at Corinth. On Sept. 24, 1862 he returned to Wisconsin on a sick furlough. William rejoined his company and resumed command on Nov. 13, 1862 at Davis Mills. After the siege of Vicksburg, Mississippi William served as Chief of Artillery on the staff of Gen. J.E. Smith. The battery saw heavy action on the march to Savannah, Georgia and William then lost the hearing in his left ear from the explosions of the shells. During his service he had suffered minor wounds to his right foot and ankle and to his right side at Vicksburg. He had also suffered a slight wound to the back of his head at Savannah. William was mustered out on June 7, 1865. He was listed in Jan. 1884 as a charter member of the GAR Post at Fond du Lac, Fond du Lac County. He was listed in the veteran section of the 1895 and 1905 Wisconsin State census at P.O. Oshkosh, Winnebago County. William and Henrietta had four children: Emma Rebacca, married Rufus C. Reed of Oshkosh; Silas Benjamin; Ann Lydia, died in infancy; and Sarah Esther, died in infancy. Henrietta died in Oshkosh in Jan. 1894. William was listed in 1905 as retired and residing at 28 Monroe Avenue in the city of Oshkosh. William died at his residence in Oshkosh on Nov. 19, 1906. He was survived by two children, Mrs. Eugene Henry of Oshkosh and Silas B. Zickerick of Waukesha, Wisconsin. Of his five brothers, the only one to survive him was Fred D. Zickerick of St. Charles, Minnesota.
Object ID P2002.22
Object Name tintype
People Zickerick, William
Print size H: 4.25" x W: 5.5"
Subjects Group Photographs
Civil War
Artillery (Troops)
Bugles
Title Captain William Zickerick and members of the 12th Wisconsin Light Artillery
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009