||Emelia Scloerb Guenther
||Oshkosh Public Museum
||Albumen print on carte de visite stock with printed gold border of freed slaves at Lafayette's Headquarters. MARKS, Front: Entered according to an Act of Congress, in the year 1862, by Barnard & Gibson, in the Clerk's Office of the District Court of the District of Columbia.
MARKS, back: Brady's Album Gallery./No. 372/Contrabands/At Headquarters of General Lafayette
|Year Range from
||4" x 5"
|Year range to
||View of the front of Farnhold's House and front yard. The house is a simple English Colonial frame structure with a small gabled porch in front. Five infantrymen and one cavalryman are standing in the yard. Four African-American Freedmen are also there; two women with scrub-boards and buckets for laundry, a man chopping wood, and another laying in the grass. Freed slaves were often referred to as "Contraband of War" and sought safety within Union lines. They worked as cooks and laundresses for the soldiers. The Farnhold House was used by General Lafayette as his Headquarters during the Battle of Yorktown. It was used again during the Civil War as General Fitz John Porter's Headquarters
||carte de visite
||Porter, Fitz John
Lafayette, Marquis de
Mortier, Gilbert du
||4 " x 2 1/2"
||Farnhold's House on York River
NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. © 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved
Last modified on: December 12, 2009