History of Company E, 26th Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry

Previous Next Civil War Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 4/294
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Admin/Biog History Joseph Arnold was the son of Frederick and Margaret (Mack) Arnold, both from Bavaria, Frederick came to America in 1835 and married Margaret several years later, 1843 family moved to Milwaukee, WI, and in 1851 to Oshkosh. Frederick was employed as a soap and candle maker in 1857. Joseph was employed as a butcher according to the 1860 census. Joseph went to Milwaukee in April 1861 and enlisted in Company H, 1st Wisconsin Infantry (Three Months Regiment). He served in Virginia and saw action at the Battle of Falling Waters. he mustered out of service on August 15, 1861. Joseph reenlisted in Fond du Lac on Augst 15, 1862, as a sergeant in Company E, 26th Wisconsin Infantry (Seigel Regiment). He fought in the battles of Chancellorsville and Gettysburg (where he was captured on July 1, 1863) and was a prisoner of war at Belle Isle near Richmond, Virginia until March 7, 1864. He participated in the Atlanta Campaign, March to the Sea, and the March Through the Carolinas. He was promoted to 1st Lieutenant on February 11, 1865 and commanded the company as senior officer and briefly commanded Company H. He musterd out on June 13, 1865. After the war he operated a restaurant and bottled mineral water in Oshksoh. He married Matilda Moss on November 24, 1868 and raised four daughters. Arnold was active in the Grand Army of the Republic and was commander of the Phillip H. Sheridan Post #10 in Oshkosh. His widow loaned the artifacts, photographs, and archival material to the museum at an unspecified date.
Classification Archives
Collection Joseph Arnold Collection
Dates of Accumulation 1864
Abstract A History of Company E, 26th Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry written by Joseph Arnold while his regiment was stationed in Atlanta, Georgia. Arnold never completed the history of the regiment.

History of Company E, 26th Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry:
From the day of Its Organization to the 31 Day of August 1864
By 1st Sergeant Joseph Arnold

The Regiment was mostly recruited in the latter half of August 1862 [and] rendezvoused at Camp Siegel Milwaukee. I was there mustered into the U.S. Service on the 17th day of Sept. 1862.

On the 6th of October, it left Milwaukee and proceeded on its way to Washington D.C. where it arrived on the ________ of that month. On the next day, it marched from that city over the long bridge to Arlington Heights [and] receiving orders there assigning it to the 11th Corps Commanded by Major General Franz Siegel. It marched from the Heights on the 15th day of October to Fairfax Court House, Virginia, a distance of 15 miles. There [we] joined the 8th Brigade [commanded by] Colonel Krzyzanowski, of the 3rd Division [commanded by] General [Carl] Schurz of the 11th Corps.

The regiment encamped at Fairfax Court House, occupied in drilling and picket duty until November 2, on which day the 3rd Division marched through Centerville to the Bull Run Battlefield and proceeded on the next day to Thoroughfare Gap. While at this place 2nd Lieutenant J. Orth, Company I, was dangerously wounded while on picket duty . On the 7th day of November, camps were again struck and the division marched through the gap to New Baltimore. On the 7th, the same month, the division marched to Gainesville, Virginia and there encamped. November 18th returned to Centerville. At Centerville we remained until the 9th day of December 1862 when the 11th Corps was ordered to the support of Major General Burnside who was then preparing his great attack on Fredericksburg.

We marched to Falmouth on the Rappahanock [River] by way of Dumfries and Stafford Court House, arriving there on the 14th of December, a day after the bloody Battle of Fredericksburg. This march was one of the hardest the regiment ever made. Rain and melting snow had made the roads almost impassable. Arriving at our camping grounds, generally late in the evening, the tents had to pitched in the snow and mud. Rations too were very scarce a part of the time. From Falmouth, the corps returned to Stafford Court House. Here winter quarters were built, but only enjoyed for a short time. On the 21st of December, the regiment was sent toward Dumfries where an attack had been expected. After marching about four miles, the regiment was recalled. On the 19th of January 1863, the corps marched to the neighborhood of Beriah Church. The regiment, being detailed as rear guard however, remained in the neighborhood of Stafford Court House and then followed the corps. Here [we] built winter quarters again. As we had them completed, orders were again received and we returned to the neighborhood of Stafford Court House. Here [we] built winter quarters again and finally settled down in them. The winter was passed in drilling and in a course of general instruction, besides the usual rounds of picket and fatigue duty.

By this time, the strength of the regiment had been considerably reduced by sickness, death and discharges that the aggregate affective force of the regiment by the time of entering the Chancellorsville Campaign was about [missing]. On the 27 day of April, this great Campaign Opened. The 11th Corps, then under the command Of Major General [Oliver Otis] Howard, with it the 26th [Wisconsin], broke camp that day and marched on that and following day to Kelly's Ferry on the Rappahannock [River]. At midnight of the 28th of April, the pontoon was completed and we crossed the Rappahannock and marched that same night three miles beyond the river. The next morning we pursued our course. At about five o'clock we reached the Rapidan [River] at Germanna Mills. Again, in the dark of night, we crossed the river and next day continued our march. In the evening, we reached Locust Grove near Chancellorsville. This was on the 30th day of April 1863. The 11th Corps here formed the extreme right of the Army of the Potomac.

The 1st day of May, the regiment was massed and put into the second line. The line facing South or nearly so. An attack by the enemy was hourly expected, but not made. On the 2nd of May, at about 10 o clock a.m. the brigade, to which the regiment was attached, was withdrawn from its position and put in line so as to protect the flank. We then faced about west and were in position at right angles with the main army, but somewhat retired from its extreme right. The 26th was in the front line, deployed in line of battle, in an open field in its front. At a distance of 75 yards was a Strip of heavy timber. In this [timber] and about 300 yards distance from the regiment, it deployed a heavy skirmish line And sent Company B to their support. The matter stood until 5 o'clock PM. Not a shot was fired by our skirmishers or in our neighborhood. No breastworks or protection of any kind had before been put up. The regiment had stacked their arms, and the men were cooking their coffee, [and] bands were playing national airs.

Nothing indicated the terrible storm, which was approaching until a shot was fired on the skirmish line, then another. Then the rolling volleys told us that the enemy was upon us. We were struck directly in front. The main army was thus attacked on the right flank and rear of the right flank. The extreme right gave way. Immediately the men rushing by us broke our line in their hasty flight. [Illegible] had the regiment fallen in and taken its arms when the Rebs appeared in the edge of the woods. Our skirmish line had meanwhile been completely crushed. Captain Pazzalla, commanding it, had been killed by the first volley. Companies A and B, finding it useless to stay, hastened back with the few [men] that were left of skirmishers, and rejoined the regiment. On the left of the regiment was the 119th New York [Infantry, and] on its left the main army was giving away. On our right was nothing. The two regiments, thus isolated, stubbornly held their ground. Volley after volley they poured into the ranks of the enemy, checking what was in their front. But being themselves fearfully reduced in number, the left of the enemy over lapping our right pressing forward unresisted, and we were in danger of being cut off. Thus, we had desperately fought the enemy for of an hour when we received orders from our brigade commander to fall back. We fell back, but left upon the bloody fields some 200 of our best men.

About one mile in rear of [our] original position, the regiment, or what remained, formed again. It had meanwhile grown dark and the advance of the enemy had been stopped. Early on the morning of the 3rd, we marched back with the balance of the corps to the left of the army, near United States Ford, and went into position there. A part of the regiment was again thrown out as skirmishers and was actively engaged during the day and part of the night without suffering any loss. On the morning of the 4th, our division moved further to the right and again took positions. There we remained into the morning of the 6th,of May, when the order was given to cross the River Rappahannock. We crossed the river on the pontoon bridges and that same day returned to our old quarters near Stafford Court House. The casualties of the regiment was [line left blank]

On the 16th of May we moved our camp one mile to a place near Brooks Station and there remained until the 12th day of June 1863, when we broke camp. And [then we] started upon the Gettysburg Campaign. The regiment [being] under command of Lieutenant Colonel Boebel, Colonel Jacobs being absent sick. Our effective strength now was [no number].

Our first march was to Hardwood Church. Camped for the night of the 13th, to Catlett's Station on the 14th, [and then on] to Centreville, Virginia. In the neighborhood of this place we remained the 15th and 16th. On the morning of the 17th we left Centreville [and] marched to Goose Creek. The day was intensely hot the road very dusty. And water scarce at Goose Creek we camped and remained to the 24th. On that day we marched to the banks of the Potomac, near the mouth of Goose Creek. At 4:30 a.m. of the 25th, we crossed the Potomac at Edward's Ferry, [and] marched to Jeffersonville Maryland. On the 26th, [we] marched to Middletown, and remained there on the 27th. On the 28th, [we] marched to Fredrick City Maryland. On the next day marched to Emmitsburg, Maryland. There we remained until the morning of the 1st day of July.

At 7 o'clock in the morning, we received orders to march. We crossed the Maryland boundary and about 11 o'clock arrived in the vicinity of Gettysburg, [Pennsylvania]. The thunder of cannon already proclaimed that the Battle was raging. The 1st Corps was engaged. Entering the town on the south side, we marched through it in northwesterly direction and formed line of battle beyond it. In an open wheat field, the 26th [Wisconsin] was put in the second line of our brigade and massed in double column. After a delay of about hour, the order was given to advance. The second line advanced but a short distance and halted while the first line marched to a strip of timber in their front, about 200 Yards. They had hardly reached it when they were attacked by overwhelming numbers and at once gave way in the utmost confusion. The second line was then pushed forward. Marching forward, the 26th, when it had arrived about 100 yards from the enemy (who was then eagerly pressing forward), and opened a murderous fire. On our left was again the 119th New York [Infantry] and on the right we had no communication or support whatever. The enemy were checked but for a short time. Through the heavy clouds of smoke, the enemy could be seen advancing in heavy line, raking our thin line with an enfilading fire. The 119th [New York] was doubled up and thrown on our left companies. Closer and closer, the enemy was pressing upon us until they we within 15 or 20 paces of us. Then the order was given by the brigade commander to retreat. The open field, on which we now had to retrace our steps, was swept by the hostile bullets and many and brave men were laid low while attempting to cross. Of the officers engaged in the conflict, [only] Captain Fernekes, Lieutenants Schmidt and Routh escaped unhurt. It is not strange therefore, that the regiment became considerably scattered. On the retreat, on the outskirts of the town, a halt was made and the enemy again engaged. We then fell back in rear of the retreating columns, through the main thoroughfare of the town, to Cemetery Hill. Here the regiment was at once reformed and put in line behind a stone fence resting its right on the street. Captain Fuchs, whose wound was light, and had been dressed at once, returned and took command. Afterward, Lieutenant Traeumer had come up with a detail, which had been [on] picket some miles from Emittsburg. This detachment was again put on picket, in the evening and night, immediately in front of our regiment. On the second and third days of battle, the regiment did not change position nor sustain any further losses.

Early on the morning of the 4th, it was sent with another regiment of the brigade on a reconnaissance east of the Cemetery Hill and soon found that the enemy had retreated to his former position. [It] brought in a number of prisoners. In the afternoon, Colonel Jacobs arrived and resumed command. About 7 PM the next day, the march southward was commenced through rain and darkness, and the next morning as far as Emmitsburg. On the 7th, the regiment. Marched [all] the way to Middletown, some thirty-three miles, crossing The Catoctin Mountains over a very rough and difficult road. By 3 PM the next day, it started for Boonsboro to the support of [General Judson] Kilpatrick, whom it was said was engaged with [Confederate General J.E.B.] Stuart and pretty hard pressed. Our division was sent to his support. After passing over South Mountain, [the regiment] marched through the town, ready for action. But found that the Rebel Cavalry had already been driven from the field. On the 10th, [the 26th] marched to near Funkstown. On the 12th, [they] crossed Antietam Creek, took position, and entrenched between Funkstown and Hagerstown. Here our army was massed directly opposite the Rebel army's abandoned works. Here we remained the 13th. On [the] 14th, [we] marched over the enemy's abandoned works to Williamsport [and] to find the enemy. Started again at 4 PM on the 15th, marched back to Middletown, and continued our march on the 16th to within a few miles of Berlin. On the 19th, recrossed the Potomac and then by slow marches through the Loudon Valley to [illegible] Junction, where we arrived on the 25th. Which may be considered the grand episode of the Gettysburg Campaign. The severity of this campaign, with the many forced marches, during the hottest of the season, will not easily be forgotten.

The regiment was much reduced by the heavy casualties, and of sickness, and battle. There being but few officers left, [it] was temporarily organized into five companies in this vicinity. We remained till the middle of September, doing heavy picket and patrolling duty all the time, and changing camp very frequently. Our ranks were gradually increased by the return of convalescents. As [the] number of officers, who had been wounded, returned [we] then organized again in regular ten companies.

[Chattanooga Campaign]
The 17th of September, our brigade was sent to Rappahannock Station where the railroad crossed the river our right was sent to occupy the south side of the Bank while the rest of the Brigade remained on the north side. On the 24th, orders came to get ready to be shipped by rail at once [and] we did. It was supposed [that] the train from Culpeper would take us. The train came, but had no orders [and they] could not take us. [We] soon received orders that we must march. At 10 o'clock at night we started, marched all night, stopped for a scanty breakfast at Catlett's Station. [We] resumed our journey to Manassas Junction, where we arrived at 2 o clock PM. Shortly after dark [we] embarked in a train of baggage wagons, which we did not leave again until we arrived at the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad and on the Bank of the Ohio [River] opposite Bellaire.

Having Crossed the [Ohio] River on Pontoon Bridge ... we embarked again on a similar train, somewhat more densely packed, and were taken at a moderate speed. [We] were released at Jeffersonville, [Indiana] then across the ferry to Louisville, [Kentucky]. [We] started the same day to Nashville, [Tennessee]. At dawn of the 8th of October arrived, [we were] at Bridgeport, [Alabama]. Here [we] went into camp.

On the 9th of October, [we] were suddenly ordered to the tunnel near Cowan Station, about thirty miles north of Bridgeport, where the raiders were said to have made an attack. When arriving at the tunnel, we found that a party of raiders had driven off the guard. We sent patrols to scour the neighborhood, but found no enemy. Toward evening, a train took us back to Bridgeport. A few days after this, we started on another expedition with the 143rd New York Regiment. [We] went to Shellmound, a railroad station some seven miles from Bridgeport, on the south side of the Tennessee [River], and went to work to reconstruct a railroad bridge across the river which had been destroyed by the rebels. On the second day, we were relieved by another regiment. Three companies of the regiment, commanded by Captain Fuchs, went to the south side of the river and returned with the capture of two Rebel scouts.

On the morning of the 27th, we entered another campaign. The whole of the 11th Corps, followed by a division of the 12th Corps, crossed the Tennessee [River] at Bridgeport [and] marched along the railroad to Chattanooga. We halted for [the] night and next day marched to four miles east of Shellmound. [We] continued our march next day to the neighborhood of Browns Ferry. Finding little opposition, except from a small body of Rebel skirmishers and now an then a battery playing upon us from the top of Lookout Mountain. Approaching, we were suddenly aroused by a lively fire on our right, which became quite rapid. The Rebels had come in between us and General Geary's Division, which had stopped at Wauhatchie. A portion of the corps was ordered to dispossess the enemy of several important hills, [that] they had taken possession of, and we were moved forward in the support. The position was carried. We held a portion of it until daylight when we were sent to the support of General Geary where another attack seemed to be anticipated. The casualties we sustained were two men wounded.

The next few weeks we were moved around a good deal from one position to another. Each of which had to be strongly entrenched. To which added picket duty made the duty of the regiment very hard and as the weather was very bad and most of the time rainy. [We were on] half rations and sometimes was all that was issued, they felt it severely. On the 8th of November, Colonel Jacobs left, being detailed on recruiting service, and the command of the regiment was given to Major Winkler. On the 10th, the regiment went on foraging expedition toward Trenton, [Georgia]. [We] started at 7 o'clock, marched all day, and during the night till 3 o'clock, when we got back. Then [we] went into a new camp, where we at once put up good and substantial log huts. On the 10th, orders came to prepare to march and the regiment at once proceeded to Chattanooga, 270 strong, leaving camp and baggage in charge of convalescents at Chattanooga.

We bivouacked for the night and at 10 AM, we formed in double array and moved down towards Missionary Ridge. Our brigade, in double column, [was] in support of the first line. The Rebel skirmishers were driven back from one position to another so that at nightfall considerable ground had been gained. The regiment was now ordered to the front line and temporarily attached to Colonel Hecker's Brigade. Some skirmishing and a further advance of the line took place. The next day, early on the 25th, we rejoined our own brigade and marched around Mission Ridge to the extreme left of the army near Chicamauga Creek. [Here] we took a strong position to guard against a flank movement from the enemy.

[Knoxville Campaign]
Here we remained until 4 o'clock the 26th, then started in pursuit of the enemy. We had to go back some 4 miles to cross the Chicamauga Creek on [the] pontoon bridge. The next day we passed through Parker's Gap in [the] White Oak Mountains and marched some distance beyond. On the 28th, [we] marched back to the gap through a drenching rain and then camped and received 3 days rations, which were to be good for four [days]. Sunday, at 9 am, we were started and marched to Cleveland, East Tennessee. On the next day, [we marched] to Charleston on the Hiawasee [River], where details were put at work to repair the railroad bridge for the passage of troops. On the morning of the next day, we crossed [the river and] received our share of some Rebel flour and salt captured there. And then marched on, passing through Riceville about noon and Athens at night, where we bivouacked till 5 am December 21, 1863. Then [we] were again on the march. A very hard and dangerous march brought us to the mouth Creek. Sweetwater and Philadelphia and it was long after dark when we halted several miles north of the latter place. At 4 am December 13th, we marched again at daylight, entered Loudon in line of battle, and skirmish line in advance, but found no enemy.

There the regiment remained until December 5th, when it started for Davis' Ferry on the Little Tennessee River, some 7 miles from Loudon, where we crossed the river on a wagon bridge. [We] marched untill night then encamped near Little [Tennessee] River, about 15 miles from Knoxville where we were to go the next day. But early in the evening, orders were countermanded and [we] were allowed a day of rest. The next day, the 9th, retracing our steps gradually, [we went] to our old camping ground in Lookout Valley, where arrived the 17 day of December. We had sustained no casualties by the hands of the enemy, but the hardships of the campaign had been extraordinary. The men, mostly without blankets [and] shoes being wore out and on the way back, many were absolutely barefoot. Subsistence had to be gathered from the country, which was very scantily supplied. The weather was during the nights exceedingly cold and the frequent rains chilly. Many who participated in the campaign had to linger in hospitals many weeks after and several died of its effects after.

From this [time] until spring, the regiment enjoyed a season of recreation and rest, although large details of fatigue and picket were upon us. Here the regiment remained until the 23rd day of April. Then the regiment was transferred to Whitesides and attached to the 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 20th Army Corps. Key commanders were now confidentially advised to be ready for active service by May 1, 1864. The regiment had gained considerable additions. Eighty recruits had joined it [and] many convalescents had returned to duty. On the morning of the 2nd of May, we set out with 417 muskets and marched to [Lee and] Gordon's Mill, [Georgia].

[Atlanta Campaign]
May 4th [we] marched to Pleasant Grove, some eleven miles south of Ringold. May 6th [we marched to] Lee's Farm crossed Taylor's Ridge over a very rugged road, passed through Gordon's Springs and camped at night in Dogwood Valley, about three miles from Buzzard's Roost, where we first met the enemy. May 7th we marched near Tunnel Hill, which the Rebs had left in the morning. Here we rested. The whole regiment went on picket. The next morning, May 8th, we marched three miles when at once we met the enemy picket. We at once formed a line of battle, skirmishing continuously until the next morning.

May 9th Lt. Juenger and Sergeant Stollberg were wounded. Skirmishing lasted until 4 o'clock P.M., when we received orders to fall back to have some rest, also ammunition, and rations. Marched to our old camp near Wood Store, where we arrived at night. May 10th, it rained very hard. May 11th, the bugle sounded at 3 o'clock AM to rise. We started at 4 AM, marching southward toward W. Gap, which is about ten miles from Tunnel Hill.

[The Battle of Resaca]
[On] May 13, 1864, after marching until about 3 PM, the corps was again laid in line of battle. [The] firing commencing pretty brisk. On the 14th, [there was] heavy cannonading. May 15th, skirmishing commenced very hard. Our regiment then received orders to charge a rifle pit, losing 49 men in killed, wounded, and missing. The loss of our division at this place was 1006 men. This was near Resaca, Georgia. On the 16th, [we] left this place, marched to near Field's Mill where we crossed the Cozer Watter [Oostanaula] River in a ferryboat.
On the 18th at 2 a.m., we arrived at the village of Adairsville, Georgia and ten miles from Kingston. The 3rd Division then marched in line of battle until the 20th. This day we had another skirmish, but no one was hurt. [We] were then ordered to camp for a brief rest near Cassville, Georgia.

[On] May 24, we arrived at Burnt Hickory or Dallas and next day, the 25th, had a battle, which lasted until the morning of the 26th. Our loss was 40 enlisted men. We then occupied a strong rifle pit on the extreme right. On the 27th, [we] lost Reinhold Krause, who was killed on the Skirmish line. On the 28th, we were ordered to the extreme left where we remained until the 9th day of June 1864. After this we traveled to and fro along our line, which then ran fronting towards Lost Mountain, Kenesaw Mountain, and near Marietta, Georgia.

[Kenesaw Mountain]
The next great fight took place on the 22nd day of June. The 4th Corps, which joined on our left, was repulsed with heavy loss, but afterward, repulsed the enemy, inflicting a heavy loss.
Our loss, that of the regiment, was 38 in killed and wounded. July 3rd we left our positions, the Rebs [having] abandoned Marietta, [and] we followed them. July 4th we arrived near a large building, threw up a line of breastworks, and enjoyed the 4th of July. [The] bands were playing and cheering [was] going on until late at night. July 5th, we marched to the Chattahoochee River. July 7th, the Rebs were now across the river and our pickets [were on this side]. The firing soon ceased between the pickets and trading commenced. The Rebs tying tobacco to a stone [would] throw it across the river. Our boys in return threw coffee over to them. Sometimes agreements were made too meet in the middle of the river. [On] July 17th, heavy cannonading along the lines

[Peach Tree Creek]
[On] July 18th, we left our camp marched toward the left and crossed the river and proceeded until late at night [when] we camped. July 19th we marched in line of battle all day. July 20th we met the enemy near Peach Tree Creek. The engagement at once took place. We fought against superior numbers, but repulsed the enemy after several hours fighting, capturing many prisoners and one stand of colors belonging to the 33rd Mississippi [Infantry] Rebs. Our loss was two officers killed, two wounded and twenty-four enlisted men killed and wounded. After repulsing the enemy, we threw up breastworks.

[On] July 22 we moved nearer to Atlanta, where we moved several times, at one time supporting one of heavy batteries. We continually lay under the shells of the enemy, some shells going through our [breast] works, but doing us little damage. On the 29th our division moved to the extreme right of the army, joining with our cavalry. We passed [a] field where a battle had been fought the day previous and counted 109 dead rebels on a small field. Prisoners acknowledged that they had received whiskey before leaving Atlanta to fight and were all Drunk.

[On] August 1st, our brigade moved to the extreme right. [We had] heavy showers while we were on a reconnoiter. August 3rd, [we] were ordered back to the rest of the corps. We moved from one position to another [on] August 5th. [We] took [a] position [on] August 8th, [where] R. Nemitz, Company A, [was] killed on the picket line. August 9th, Private Ferdinand Woller of Company E was wounded. He was sick and just going to the doctor for some medicine. He died of his wounds on the 16th. Cannonading and musketry continued day and night. August 13th one [man] of the Company I was wounded through the foot. Friedrich Giljohann, musician, was wounded while taking down his tents. [He] died same day in the hospital. No mail for several days, rumor said that communication was cut. August 20th, [we] received a large mail. August 23, [the] weather [is] fine, received orders at night to march. [We] arrived at Frances Farm in the morning on the Chattahoochee River. Built good rifle pits and a nice camp.

August 25th, we were attacked by some Rebel cavalry, but they were soon repulsed by our brigade. We camped at this place until the 3rd day of September. On the 2nd day of September, a party, some of every regiment out of our division, went reconnoitering and occupied the city, driving out the rebel cavalry. The Mayor then surrendered the city to the 3rd Division, 20th Army Corps. The balance of our regiment broke camp on the morning of the 3rd, and marched to Atlanta, Georgia. After marching through the city, we occupied the fortifications around Atlanta and built camps. The Rebs, in their hasty retreat, left a great deal of ammunition, all their heavy artillery, a lot of small arms, and several railroad trains, all of which they burnt. The city is badly riddled by our balls. [We] received official notice from the commanding general that we would now have one months rest, receive clothing and pay, and then prepare for another winter campaign

1st Sergeant Joseph Arnold, Company E, 26th Regiment Wisconsin Vol. Infantry.

Atlanta Georgia
September 1864
Event Civil War
Category 8: Communication Artifact
Legal Status Oshkosh Public Museum
Notes Joseph Arnold was the son of Frederick and Margaret (Mack) Arnold, both from Bavaria, Frederick came to America in 1835 and married Margaret several years later, 1843 family moved to Milwaukee, WI, and in 1851 to Oshkosh. Frederick was employed as a soap and candle maker in 1857. Joseph was employed as a butcher according to the 1860 census. Joseph went to Milwaukee in April 1861 and enlisted in Company H, 1st Wisconsin Infantry (Three Months Regiment). He served in Virginia and saw action at the Battle of Falling Waters. he mustered out of service on August 15, 1861. Joseph reenlisted in Fond du Lac on Augst 15, 1862, as a sergeant in Company E, 26th Wisconsin Infantry (Seigel Regiment). He fought in the battles of Chancellorsville and Gettysburg (where he was captured on July 1, 1863) and was a prisoner of war at Belle Isle near Richmond, Virginia until March 7, 1864. He participated in the Atlanta Campaign, March to the Sea, and the March Through the Carolinas. He was promoted to 1st Lieutenant on February 11, 1865 and commanded the company as senior officer and briefly commanded Company H. He musterd out on June 13, 1865. After the war he operated a restaurant and bottled mineral water in Oshksoh. He married Matilda Moss on November 24, 1868 and raised four daughters. Arnold was active in the Grand Army of the Republic and was commander of the Phillip H. Sheridan Post #10 in Oshkosh. His widow loaned the artifacts, photographs, and archival material to the museum at an unspecified date.
Object ID RG1.2
Object Name History
People Arnold, Joseph/
Subjects Civil War/Campaigns & battles/Camps/26th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry/German-Americans
Title History of Company E, 26th Regiment Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009