Previous Next
Record 237/261
Description 
Apostles Clock, very large made from pine, oak, birch, and walnut woods. Interior works made from steam fire engine parts and lower portion hold disk music box. Electric lights. On the hour, top door opens and angel rings hour; music starts playing, side doors open (left side has portrayal Jesus' birth and right side portrays Jesus' death); center door opens and Jesus stands with raised hands; another door to the left opens and 12 Apostles come out each turn and bow to Jesus except the last-Judas who holds a bag of gold and turns away; the Apostles, on a turn table, travel to a door to the right side of clock. This clock was built in Oshkosh by Mathias Kitz, a German immigrant. Kitz was a furniture maker until the great Fire of 1875 ended his furniture business. Kitz then turned to the manufacture of wooden water tanks (cisterns) and cigar boxes. Clockmaking was Kitz' hobby. He worked on the clock for six years, completing it in 1895 when he was 65 years old. Kitz, a member of a volunteer fire company, used discarded parts from steam fire engines for part of the clock's complex works. The revolving platform supporting the Apostle figures was once a circular saw in a lumber mill. The clock is powered by heavy lead weights which are wound daily. Kitz included a Regina music box in his clock; there are two dozen different music disks that can be fitted to the music box. He used a variety of woods to manufacture the clock: pine, oak, birch, and walnut. The two wings and electric lights were added to the clock by Mathias' son, George, about 1920.
Apostles Clock -PIONEERS AND IMMIGRANTS -Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Apostles Clock

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009