Previous Next
Record 211/261

Previous
Image 3 of 3

Description 
Cardboard cigar box with white, gold, and blue designs. Cover design reads: SENERO HAVANA with the calligraphic letters "HD&S" inside. The borders on each box face are marked around the edge with "Senero" and a HD & Sons Co. logo in alternating fashion. The left and right box faces are marked with large white "SENERO" labels, and the front face is marked "BROADWAY." Blue stamp label wraps around cover and front faces on left end of box which reads: Sept. 1880 UNION-MADE CIGARS This certifies that the cigars herein contained have been made by Union Workers, members of the Cigar Makers' International Union of American, A.F. of L Interior of box contains a white label that extends from the cover down to the back face. At upper left of label is written "BROADWAY 10 (cents)." Middle of label contains a gold HD & Sons Co. logo, with "Senero Manufacturer of fine cigars for over a century." Bottom of label at back face reads "H. DERKSEN & SONS CO." on the left, "Senero" in the center, and "OSHKOSH, WISCONSIN" at right. Bottom of box is marked in ink "50," and below it "E" next to a box with: THE CIGARS HEREIN CONTAINED WERE MANUFACTURED TO RETAIL AT MORE THAN EIGHT CENTS EACH AND NOT MORE THAN FIFTEEN CENTS EACH AND ARE SO TAX PAID inside. Below this is a bold line, with the words "PERMIT NO. C - 259 WIS" written below it. Herman Derksen was born February 15, 1844 in Holland. At the age of 12 he traveled with his parents to America where they settled in Cincinnati, Ohio. Later the family moved to Chicago, Illinois and then Watertown, Wisconsin. In Watertown Derksen's father, Theodore, established a cigar business. Later the family would move again to Portage, Wisconsin. During the Civil War Derksen, being too young to enlist, worked as a locomotive fireman on the Chicago, Milwaukee, & St. Paul railway that ran from Portage to LaCrosse. By 1868 both father and son were in the cigar business and moved it to Oshkosh where it was located at the corner of Main and Irving street. Later it moved to the corner of Waugoo and Main, but that location burned down in the fire of 1875. In 1882 the Derksen business block was built on Main Street. Derksen's sons also joined the company and the name changed to Herman Derksen & Sons. An active member of the Oshkosh community Derksen served for a time on the cemetery board and 25 years on the park board. He was such an enthusiastic yachtsman that he was known as Captain Derksen. He owned the "Corona", in his obituary stated as, the first steam launch, and in later years also owned the Estella, "Irma", "Napawin" and "Theresa". He was one of the organizers and a charter member of the Oshkosh Power Boat Club. Derksen died June 1, 1934 at the age of 89.
Box, Cigar -PIONEERS AND IMMIGRANTS -Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Interior cover.

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009