Previous Next Pioneers & Immigrants Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 209/261
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Enlarge Image
Description Blown-glass cane, stripe design in glass, hollow and filled with a yellowish liquid. A cork at the bottom end acts as a stopper for the liquid inside.

This blown-glass cane was made at the Omro Glass Factory. Canes were just one example of the whimsical pieces made by workmen, probably for practice, and were not part of the factory's output. Many of the canes were hollow and it was claimed to be a good place to carry alcoholic beverages. A newspaper clipping from 1852 reports the formation of a business called the Omro Glass Company and mentions the superior quality of the glass sand (silica) found nearby. However, it was not until 1870 that Hiram Webster actually built a glass factory in Omro. The material for making glass was obtained in the Town of Nepeuskum, southwest of the village of Waukau. The main output of the factory was blown glass, which was made into rolls and sent to eastern markets where it was reheated and made into window glass. The factory operated until 1875 or 1876 when the company went bankrupt. In 1877 the factory was destroyed by fire.

This piece was collected by Mrs. Almeda Fisk Gallup. Almeda was born on January 14, 1851 at Fisk Corners, Wisconsin (the town named after her family) and her parents were Edwin Brown Fisk and Adeline Sanborn Fisk. She married Ernest H. Gallup on October 29, 1872. Almeda died on December 1, 1927 and is buried at Riverside Cemetery.
Dimensions H-32 Dia-2.5 inches
Year Range from 1870
Year range to 1877
Made Omro Glass Factory
Material Glass/Cork
Object ID 1010-6
Object Name Cane
Place of Origin Omro, WI
People Gallup, Almeda Fisk
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009