Previous Next
Record 208/261
Description 
Clear blown glass ladle, hollow in center and twist in handle. This ladle was made at the Omro Glass Factory. Ladles were just one of the whimsical pieces probably done for practice by workmen and were not part of the factory's output. A newspaper clipping from 1852 reports the formation of a business called the Omro Glass Company and mentions the superior quality of the glass sand (silica) found nearby. However, it was not until 1870 that Hiram Webster actually built a glass factory in Omro. The material for making glass was obtained in the Town of Nepeuskum, southwest of the village of Waukau. The main output of the factory was blown glass, which was made into rolls and sent to eastern markets where it was reheated and made into window glass. The factory operated until 1875 or 1876 when the company went bankrupt. In 1877 the factory was destroyed by fire. This piece was collected by Mrs. Almeda Fisk Gallup. Almeda was born on January 14, 1851 at Fisk Corners, Wisconsin (the town named after her family) and her parents were Edwin Brown Fisk and Adeline Sanborn Fisk. She married Ernest H. Gallup on October 29, 1872. Almeda died on December 1, 1927 and is buried at Riverside Cemetery.
Ladle -PIONEERS AND IMMIGRANTS -Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009