||Oshkosh Public Museum
||Albumen print on cardstock of the Oshkosh Deutscher Kriegerverein.
|Year Range from
|Year range to
||Outdoor image showing a group of men wearing semi-military uniforms in front of a building with a banner reading, "Oshkosh Deutscher Kriegerverein", or German Warriors Organization. The image was possibly taken in front of their club house on Oregon Street. Most of the men are holding Model 1873 Springfield Rifles, swords or musical instruments. An American flag is on the left and a flag with a German Iron Cross with "1870" is on the right. The Oshkosh Deutscher Kriegerverein does not appear in the list of societies in the Oshkosh City Directories, but it is documented that they held a large convention in Oshkosh when they dedicated their flags in 1903 (an American Flag and a German flag), and they were present at the dedication of the Oshkosh Soldiers Monument in 1907. A newspaper clipping from 1906 also mentions that their club house was located on Oregon Street. The stae convention was held in Oshkosh in 1912. Several of the men are identified and appear in the Oshkosh City Directory for 1908: Carl Gutzman (kneeling far right; Emil Lauke (3rd from left); 2nd Row: Gustave Siewert (3rd from left); Ernest Siewert (4th from left); Albert Pommerening (7th from left); Hermann Pommerening (far right); 3rd Row: Albert Notzke (far left holding American flag); August Ristow (5th from left); and 4th Row: Frederick Dreyer (far right).
"Kriegerverein"--German-Americans who had formerly fought in the war between Germany and France, who had since become American citizens. Kriegerverein, a society composed of men who have served in the German army during the wars of 1866, 1870 and 1871, which was first formed in Germany in 1878.
Dreyer, Frederick J.
||9" x 13"
||Oshkosh Deutscher Kriegerverein
NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. © 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved
Last modified on: December 12, 2009