William Wallace Wright

Previous Next Pioneers & Immigrants Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 138/261
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Enlarge Image
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Description Gelatin print on tan cardstock of Edgar W. Viall in front of his grocery store.
Year Range from 1876
Year range to 1884
Medium Cardstock/Photographic Paper/Ink
Notes Outdoor view of Edgar W. Viall in front of his grocery store. The store was located at #81 Main Street. Edgar Sr. stands at right wearinf a long full beard, his son Edgar Jr. stands at left. Produce is on a bench at left and the store window shows stacks of boxes.
Edgar W. Viall, Sr. was born in Lake County, Ohio October 7, 1834. He married Mary A. Wilson in 1855 and the couple had two sons: Edgar, Jr. and Fred W. In 1857 he was clerking with James E. Kennedy in a grocery store in Cleveland and in 1858 they opened a grocery on Main Street Oshkosh until 1872, when Viall operated the business alone. In 1864 the also operated a wholesale grocery business and wharehouse. In 1885 he retired and sold the business to his brother Fred Viall. In 1884 he purchasd the "Oshkosh Times" newspaper with C. W. Felker. He died in 1902.
Edgar W. Viall, Jr. was born in Oshkosh, WI March 25, 1871. Worked for his father in the grocery business, Wisconsin Telephone Company, and was a deputy US Marshall. He married Irene Haben. Died in San Jose, CA July 5, 1935.
Object ID P2004.17.3
Object Name Cabinet Card
People Viall, Edgar W., Sr.
Viall, Edgar W., Jr.
Place Oshkosh, WI
Print size 4.25" x 6.5"
Subjects Oshkosh Streets
Grocery stores
Newspaper editors
Small Commercial Enterprises
Group Photographs
Fathers & children
Title William Wallace Wright
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009