||Found in Collection
||Oshkosh Public Museum
||Gelatin print on cabinet card of George Gary.
|Year Range from
|Year range to
||Cardstock/Photographic Paper/Gold Leaf
||Bust view portrait of George Gary in later life. He wears a dark suit and tie and has a gray full beard.
George Gary was born in Potsdam, NY on March 16, 1824, the son of Eli Bush and Frances O. Easton Gary. He was educated in Clinton & Keeseville, NY. In 1845 he worked on a Nantucket whaling vessel until 1847. He then taught school. George came to Oshkosh in 1850 and was followed by his parents in 1856. He married Georgiana Enery on August 24, 1854 in Berlin. The couple had four children: Mary Frances; Paul; George H.; and Ann Eliza.George worked as a clerk for steamboat shipping lines until 1854. He was elected to the Wisconsin General Assembly in 1853 and 1855. He was clerk of the Circuit Court from 1857-1861. He purchased the Oshkosh "Democrat" in 1859 and operated it until it was sold and absorbed by the "Northwestern" in 1860, where he also became an editor. In 1861 he was admitted to the bar. In 1865 he devoted himself completely to his law practice. In 1866 he was elected to the State Senate. In 1869 he became a Winnebago County Judge and remained so untill 1882. He then returned to his law practice. About 1905 he moved to Milwaukee to raise his four orphaned grandchildren. He later suffered from blindness and was reduced by poverty and lived in a small house with the children. He died in Milwaukee October 22, 1908(?)
||4.25" x 6.5"
NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. © 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved
Last modified on: December 12, 2009