PIONEERS AND IMMIGRANTS
Augustus J. Foote & Argalus Foote

Previous Next Pioneers & Immigrants Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 87/261
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection William Foote
Copyright
Oshkosh Public Museum
Description Albumen print on yellow colored cabinet card of twin borthers Augustus & Argalus Foote.
Year Range from 1879
Year range to 1883
Medium Cardstock/Photographic Emulsion
Notes Full view image of the twin Foote brothers, Augustus(left) and Argalus(right) Foote, photographed later in life. They are the sons of Joseph and Rebecca Foote (1777-1865) and were born on March 23, 1818 in Lanesboro, Mass.. Both men wear similar suits, with one having rounded lapels on his vest.
Argalus Foote was a twin son of Joseph (died c. 1826) and Rebecca Foote (1777-1865) and was born on March 23, 1817 in Lanesboro, Mass.. Argalus married Adelia N. Gregory of New Haven Connecticut in March 1848. They had three sons, Andrew D., William A., and Frank G.. Adelia died on December 6, 1876. Argalus came to Eureka after his brother Augustus in 1851. They lived in a mansion they had constucted near Eureka, Wisconsin the mansion had 30 rooms. The floor plan was of 2 identical sets of 15 rooms with a hall in the center. The home was built about 1855, the same year they purcased 320 acres of land in Rushford Township. The brothers sold the home c. 1859 and moved to the Van Alstine farm near Omro, Wisconsin. They then moved to Oshkosh where Arglus' sons established Foote Brothers & Co. flour mill. Argalus died in the home of his son Andrew in New London, WI May 6, 1902.
Augustus J. Foote, twin son of Joseph and Rebecca Foote (1777-1865) and were born on March 23, 1817 in Lanesboro, Mass.. Augustus married Anna M. (?) prior to 1849 when he moved to Rushford Township in Wisconsin and was living with the Parsons Family. The brothers purchased 320 acres in Section 27 in 1855. Anna died on December 19,1855, after giving birth to a daughter Mary. Mary died in 1856. The brothers lived in a mansion they had constucted in Eureka, Wisconsin, the mansion had 30 rooms. The floor plan was of 2 identical sets of 15 rooms with a great hall in the center. In 1859, the brothers sold the home and moved to the Van Alstine farm near Omro, Wisconsin. Augustus died in the home of his nephew Andrew D. Foote in New London, WI on February 17, 1901.
See file 550-F the Foote Brothers' House.
Object ID P2000.41.22
Object Name cabinet card
People Foote, Argalus J.
Foote, Augustus I.
Print size H=6 1/2 W=4 1/4 in
Subjects Group Photographs
Male
Brothers
Twins
Pioneers
Farmers
Title Augustus J. Foote & Argalus Foote
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009