PIONEERS AND IMMIGRANTS
George Young Knapp House

Previous Next Pioneers & Immigrants Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 47/261
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Knapp Family
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Description large format albumen print on heavy stock of the George Young Knapp House.
Year Range from 1880
Film Size 4" x 5"
Year range to 1890
Medium Cardstock/Photographic Paper
Neg # 23360
Notes Large format photograph of the George Young Knapp House. A barn is visible behind the house.Three women, a boy and two older men with gray beards stand in the lawn and porch. Identified, left to right: Hiram Cushman; George Y. Knapp; Georgiana Knapp Skinner (daughter); Clifford Skinner (boy seated); Cinthia Cushman; and Etta Knapp Crossett (daughter). Clifford's toy loghouse sits in the yard. The house has classic Greek Revival features: rectangular shape; symetricly placed windows; gabled end roof; frieze; broken pediments; side lights next to doorways; engaged pilasters; and two-story pedimented porch. It was built circa 1860 by George Y. Knapp who came to Oshkosh in 1852 and farmed. He owned 160 acres, North East 1/4 Section of Section 31, at the intersection of County K and Clairsville Road (SW corner) in Algoma Township. His son, I. C. Knapp owned the farm after his death in 1906. The house is no longer standing.
Object ID P2002.5.16
Object Name Print, Albumen
People Knapp, George Young
Cushman, Hiram
Cushman, Lucinda
Skinner, Clifford
Skinner, Georgiana Knap
Crossett, Etta Knap
Place Oshkosh, WI
Print size 8" x 10"
Subjects Houses
Greek Revival
Farms
Barns
Toys
Dollhouses
Title George Young Knapp House
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009