PIONEERS AND IMMIGRANTS
Sophia Gallup Stanley

Previous Next Pioneers & Immigrants Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 40/261
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Webster Stanley
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Description Albumen print on cardstock of Sophia Gallup Stanley.
Year Range from 1864
Year range to 1866
Medium Cardstock/Photographic Paper
Neg # 4500
Notes Albumen print on cardstock, half seated view of Sophia Gallup Stanley. Mrs. Stanley is photographed sitting in a large elaborately carved chair. She is wearing a dark colored dress with bonnet. She is holding eyeglasses. Mrs. Stanley is pictured later in life. The image was mis-identified as Mrs. Chester Gallup by the donor, but Mrs. Gallup died almost 10 years before this image was taken. Sophia Gallup Webster and her husband had three children. Sophia Gallup Webster was born in the state of New York, she is buried in Ellenwood Cemetery in Oshkosh, along with her daughter Martha. The youngest was George, born 9-26-1838, the first white male born in the city of Oshkosh. George lived in Antigo, Wisconsin where he died and is buried. Their older son was named of Henry. Henry came to the Oshkosh area at the age of fourteen along with his father. Henry left Oshkosh in the 1860's, and for a time lived in Michigan. In 1836 they moved to the south side of the Fox River across from the present site of Riverside Cemetery, what would later be the town of Algoma and purchased the ferry operated by James Knaggs. That same year Webster bought 118 acres of land along the mouth of the Fox River on the North side all the way to present Main St. Here he built a log cabin on his newly purchased land, which is now the corner of Bowen & Lake Shore Drive. In 1842, Mr. Stanley moved his ferry to the mouth of the Fox River near the Chicago & Northwestern R. R. bridge, moving it to the area of present Main St. in 1847. Mr. Stanley is credited with many firsts in the city. The first school, where six students were taught for a short period of time in his home. The first public house in 1846, called the Brooklyn, near present day South Main St. The Stanley home was also the site of county government until a court house was built in 1849. Webster Stanley died while on a trip to South Dakota in 1878, near the town of Aberdeen and is buried in Columbia Cemetery in South Dakota.
Object ID P2003.5.2
Object Name Print, Albumen
People Stanley, Sophia Gallup
Place Oshkosh, WI
Print size 8" x 9.5"
Subjects Pioneers
Firsts
Portrait photographs
Female
Eyeglasses
Title Sophia Gallup Stanley
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009