||Found in Collection
||Oshkosh Public Museum
||Gelatin print on cabinet card of Lucas Miller.
|Year Range from
|Year range to
||Cardstock/Photographic Paper/Gold Leaf
||Half seated view portrait of Lucas Miller. He wears a dark coat, white shirt with collar and black windsor tie.
Lucas M. Miller was born in Lividia, Greece on September 15, 1824. His father was killed during the Greek Revolution and he was adopted by an American soldier of fortune named Colonel J. P. Miller. He was educated in Montppelier, VT and took over his father's business at the age of 16. He studied law and at the age of 22 was admitted to the bar. In 1846 he came to Wisconsin Territory and settled in Oshkosh. He opened the third store in Oshkosh in partnership with Edward Eastman in 1846 selling groceries, provisions and drygoods. He also owned a frame building (which he sold to Monoah Griffin and became the Oshkosh House) and the only frame house in the area. He led the effort to move the county seat to Oshkosh in 1847 and donated the land it was built on. During the Mexican War in 1848, he was appointed Colonel of Militia and retained the title as an honor. He built a mansion on his farm overlooking Lake Winnebago in 1854. This property was sold to the City in 1890 and became Menominee park. The house was used as a bath house and store. It was torn down by the city in the 1970s. He married Mary E. Reeve in Winnebago County on November 24, 1859. He invested heavily in the property that became the City of Oshkosh (totaling over 500 acres) and held various city offices. He was a member of the State legislature from this district in 1853 and again in 1892. He was also on the County Board of Supervisors from 1871-1879. He died December 4, 1903 at his home at 526 Algoma.
||Miller, Lucas M.
||H=8.2 W=4 in
Emigration & immigration
NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. © 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved
Last modified on: December 12, 2009