PIONEERS AND IMMIGRANTS
Dr. Christian Linde

Previous Next Pioneers & Immigrants Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 23/261
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Description Albumen print on Carte de Visite Mount of Dr. Christian Linde.
MARKS: Back, "Webster & Walker/PHOTOGRAPHERS,/OSHKOSH, WIS./Negatives Preserved"
Inscription:"DR. CHRISTIAN (DE) LINDE"
Year Range from 1866
Year range to 1870
Medium Cardstock/Photographic Paper
Notes Three-quarter view of Dr. Christian (De) Linde. Dr. Linde is photographed sitting in a chair holding a walking stick. He wears a dark suit and shirt. The doctor is shown in middle-age with a full beard. Christian Linde was born in Denmark in 1817. he graduated with a medical degree from Universty of Copenhagen in 1834. In 1842 he imigrated to America with his brother Carl and purchased land along Lake Winnebago where the Northern State hospital was later built. He was the first doctor in Winnebago County. In 1843 he married Sarah Dickenson, daughter of Clark Dickenson. In 1844 his brother and partner died on the lake. In 1846 he moved to Green Bay and returned in 1847. In n 1847 he sold his land to Lucas Miller and built a house and office on Main Street. In 1849 Sarah died and in 1850 Dr. Linde moved with his son Fred to Fond du Lac where he entered the fur trade. In 1853 he went into partnership with Lucas Miller, Nelson Davis, and Caleb Hunter and laid out the town of Mukwa on the Wolf River. In 1852 he married Sarah Davis who died in child birth. In 1858 he married Huldah Henning. He returned to Oshkosh c 1860 and opened an office. In 1872 his son Fred joined him in the practice. In 1874 Hulda died and in 1881 his son Fred died. He died November 24, 1887.
Object ID P2002.3.5
Object Name carte de visite
People Linde, Christian
Place Oshkosh, WI
Print size 2.5" x 4"
Subjects Portrait photographs
Male
Pioneers
Doctors
Immigrants
Emigration & immigration
Title Dr. Christian Linde
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009