PIONEERS AND IMMIGRANTS
Philetus H. Sawyer House on Algoma Avenue (Congress)

Previous Next Pioneers & Immigrants Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 22/261
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Sawyer Family
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Description Albumen print on Carte de Visite Mount of Philetus H. Sawyer House.
MARKS: "C. B. Manvill,/Photographer and dealer in Albums,/Oval Frames/Engravings, Cords, Tassels, &c.,
Neenah, Menasha;/And/Green Bay, Wisconsin"
Year Range from 1866
Year range to 1868
Medium Cardstock/Photographic Paper/Ink
Notes Early carte de visite of the Philetus Sawyer house, formerly located at the north-west corner of Algoma Blvd. and Congress (where the Spanish-American War monument now stands). The image was taken from Congress street where fenced trees and a wooden fence appear in the foreground. The house is a large Italianate style structure; 5 bays wide; 4 piles deep; wrap-around porch with ballistrade; brackets below the eaves and a central belvidere on the hipped roof. It is painted with a light color with dark trim. The house was buit in the 1850's, heavily remodelled in the 1880's with the addition of a mansard roof, and demolished in the 1930s.
Object ID P2001.1.1
Object Name carte de visite
People Sawyer, Philetus Horace
Place Oshkosh, WI
Print size 2 1/2" x 4"
Subjects Italianate
Houses
Congress Avenue
Algoma Boulevard
Title Philetus H. Sawyer House on Algoma Avenue (Congress)
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009