PIONEERS AND IMMIGRANTS
Hiram A. Dana

Previous Next Pioneers & Immigrants Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 10/261
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Harriet Dana Mathews
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Description 1/6 plate daguerreotype in full case of Hiram A. Dana; stamped brass mat with oval opening and stippling; stamped brass preserver with scrolls; glass; embossed red velvet lining in lid, and leatherette covered wooden case with spray of wild roses design, and 2 brass closure hooks and eyes.
Year Range from 1859
Film Size 4" x 5"
Year range to 1860
Medium Brass/Glass/Wood/Paper/Photographic Emulsion/Velvet/Silver/Copper
Neg # 20712
Notes 3/4 quarter seated view of Hiram A. Dana. He is wearing a dark silk vest with shawl collar; dark frock coat; white shirt with turned up collar and large black silk cravat. His hair is long and over his ears and he wears a full beard with no moustache.
Hiram A. Dana was born circa 1822 in New York. His wife's name was Catherine A. and she was also from New York. In 1860 they were living in Ripon, Fon du Lac County, WI where Hiram operated a mill. Their children were Harriet, age 16; William, age 14, and Antoinette, age 9. By 1870, Hiram had established a mill in Eureka, Rushford Township, Winnebago County, WI. Only William was living with them and helping in the mill. By 1880, Hiram owned a 40 acre farm in Section 32, Rushford Township. His son William owned a dry goods store in Eureka. By 1893 he had retired and moved with Catherine into Eureka. He died prior to 1905.
Object ID P2000.12.5
Object Name Daguerreotype
People Dana, Hiram A.
Place Ripon, WI
Print size 3 3/4" x 3 1/4"
Subjects Portrait photographs
Male
Pioneers
Farmers
Mills
Flour & meal industry
Title Hiram A. Dana
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009