PIONEERS AND IMMIGRANTS
Emmeline Cook Gallup

Previous Next Pioneers & Immigrants Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 5/261
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Collection Gallup
Description Albumen Print on visiting card White mount with brown ink of Emmeline Cook Gallup.
MARKS: Back: Ely/Studio, No 2 Elm Street,/Oshkosh, Wis.
Inscription: Mrs. Emmeline (Cook) Gallup/Wife of Henry A. Gallup/First School Teacher
Year Range from 1883
Year range to 1885
Neg # 10621
Notes Bust view of Emmeline Cook Gallup wearing a lace head covering. Same as image p2000.3.131 Emmeline Cook (1813-1885) was born in Mayville, New York in the county of Chautauqua. Her parents were Ray Cook & Unis Cook. Emmeline lived in Fond du Lac, Wis. for an unknown period of time, she came to Oshkosh in 1841 to visit her sister and her husband. That same year she meet Henry Gallup of Oshkosh. Also in that same year she convinced Webster Stanley to erect an addition to his home to serve as Oshkosh's first school at what is now the Southwest corner of Bowen St. & Bay Shore Drive. The school had a total of 7 pupils, two from the Wright family, two from the Stanley family and three from the McCarthy family. Emmeline taught for only two years and quit upon her marriage to Henry Gallup. They had three children: Cornelia, Ernest & Percival. Emmeline died of Apoplexy (stroke) on May 29, 1885 and is buried at Riverside Cemetery. Emmiline Cook grade school is named for her.
Object ID P2000.3.131
Object Name carte de visite
People Gallup, Emmeline Cook
Place Oshkosh, WI
Print size H=4 W=2 1/2 in
Subjects Portrait photographs
Female
Aged persons
Teachers
Pioneers
Title Emmeline Cook Gallup
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact scross@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2005 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: December 12, 2009