Bling!: Gorgeous Gowns and Dazzling Dresses :
Object Name:
Dress
Object ID:
2422-1
Date:
circa 1920s
Description:
Navy blue silk crepe neckline bodice with set in sleeves, flowing cuffs attached just below the elbows ending at the wrists. Bodice front and back beaded with navy beads, bodice front and back have piece of fabric sewn into waistline brought up and sewn into a shoulder seams. Gathered calf-length skirt also beaded. Crepe sash attached to waist right-side snap closure.

Research has not been able to determine who actually wore this dress. Donated by the Ladies Benevolent Society in 1939, it may have belonged to one of the residents a home run by the Society. The Ladies Benevolent Society (was) the oldest philanthropic organization in the City, as well as in the State. It was organized at the outbreak of the Civil War. The original home was located at the former residence of Joel Mead at the corner of High & Wisconsin St. This property was sold to the Twentieth Century Club as well as property on Main St. and $10,000 from the Sawyer family all these monies were used to build and operate this home at Main & Huron St. The building was constructed in 1901.

Click to Enlarge
Image 
Ladies Benevolent Society HomeLadies Benevolent Society Home