Bling!: Gorgeous Gowns and Dazzling Dresses :
Object Name:
Object ID:
circa 1920s
Case, Dr. Florence
Campen Dresses/Ohio
A straight cut black and red dress with rounded neckline and set in sleeves decorated with a line of twelve cloth covered beads that end at the cuff. Slit on the right side of skirt reveals a black slip that hangs six-seven inches below dress hem. Twelve twisted black cords are attached above this slit and hang to the hem. Fabric is decorated with embroidery. (On back) Cloth label on lining, white with yellow gold machine embroidery THE/CAMPEN/DRESSES. The lining of this dress is totally separate and attached with snaps to the dress at the shoulders.

This dress was worn by Dr. Florence Case.
Florence was born on August 26, 1878 at Logansport, Indiana to Mr. & Mrs.. John H. Case.. She attended high school at Marion, Indiana and then went on to the Indiana University getting bachelor of arts degree in 1922, a master's degree in 1923 and her doctor's degree in 1929 (when she was 51 years old). Florence first taught in grade and high school at Marion, Indiana and later at the State Teachers College in Kearney, Nebraska. she came to Oshkosh State Teachers College in 1930, teaching in the sociology department. She became Dean of Women in 1938 and continued in that capacity until her retirement in 1949. Some of her duties as dean was to promote university activities such as posting the list of pledges to sororities and chaperon proms and dances.

Florence was a member of Delta Zeta Sorority; a charter member of the General Francis Marion Chapter of the DAR; member of the National Association of Women Deans and AAUW; member of Trinity Episcopal Church; Oshkosh 20th Century Club. She is often mentioned in the Oshkosh Northwestern as giving talks to civic organizations and church and college groups. To listen to a re-creation of a 1948 radio talk of Dr. Florence Case's visit
Obituary: Oshkosh Northwestern April 1, 1957

Campen Dresses was a dress manufacturer out of Cleveland, Ohio. Found listed as a corporation in 1916 under the Name of Knoll-Campen Co. it then became Campen Brothers company and still existed in 1934.

pass, twelve sleeve buttons also makes over the top in a time of few buttons.
Click to Enlarge
Photo Courtesy of UW-Oshkosh Archives and Area Research CenterPhoto Courtesy of UW-Oshkosh Archives and Area Research Center