Welcome to the Oshkosh Public Museum Virtual Exhibit
The Lasley's Point site is located in Winnebago County on the east shore of Lake Winneconne. It is a multi-component Oneota and Woodland site that dates from AD 1030 to 1430. The site was excavated by the Oshkosh Public Museum over a period of four years from 1937 to 1941. The excavation was lead by Arthur P. Kannenberg, who was curator of archeology at the time.
The Lasley's Point bone and antler artifacts were examined and classified by University of Wisconsin Oshkosh interns, Rebecca Orlowski and August Perry during the 2007 spring semester. Only modified bone and antler from Kannenberg's excavations were analyzed. The Lasley's Point shell artifacts were examined and classified by University of Wisconsin Oshkosh intern Dean Macholl during the 2008 summer semester. Only modified shell from Kannenberg's excavations were analyzed. Victoria Dirst 's "Three Classic Oneota Sites in East Central Wisconsin" (University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, 1985) was used as the typology for classifying artifacts.
You may view a particular exhibit by clicking on the exhibit image at left or search all exhibits by clicking the "Search" button below.