The Oshkosh Public Museum Pipe Collection
Pipe, Effigy

Previous Next OPM Pipe Collection Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 150/204
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Image
Enlarge Image
Image
Enlarge Image
Image
Enlarge Image
Image
Enlarge Image
Object ID 1998.22.249
Object Name Pipe, Effigy
Count 1
Description Bird or frog head extends from front of bowl rim; incised lines at bowl exterior, one side includes chevrons; broad, deep notch midway down from effigy; bottom projection perforated.

From the Arthur P. Kannenberg Collection.

Original catalog card written by Kannenberg for L300-33: "Effigy pipe. Locality: Winneconne, Winnebago County, Wis. Received from Mrs. Frank Schneider. Bannerstone slate. It was found while spading a garden in the village of Winneconne by Mr. Frank Schneider about the year 1909. Mrs. Schneider sold it to me for $15. Notice the human face profile with an effigy head at the fore-head."

Notations on the back of (a Milwaukee Public Museum?) photographic print include: "This is an Effigy Pipe made from bannerstone slate of a greenish-black color. It was found while spading a garden within the city limits of Winneconne by Mr. J. H. Schneider in the spring of 1915. It has the profile of human face with a bird head ornamenting the crown. It is decorated with lines top and bottom. Notice: The Bird stone head."
Material Stone
Dimensions H-8 W-2.9 L-5 cm
Collecting location Winneconne, WI
Collector Kannenberg, Arthur P.
Other # L300-33/L200-33
Related Publications George A. West. "Tobacco, Pipes and Smoking Customs of the American Indians". Bulletin of the Public Museum of the City of Milwaukee, Vol 17, June 11, 1934 (Plate 47, Fig. 3).
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact jlloyd@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2007 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: August 22, 2007