The Oshkosh Public Museum Pipe Collection
Pipe, Elbow

Previous Next OPM Pipe Collection Exhibit Page Home Search
Record 78/204
Copyright Oshkosh Public Museum
Image
Enlarge Image
Image
Enlarge Image
Image
Enlarge Image
Image
Enlarge Image
Image
Enlarge Image
Image
Enlarge Image
Object ID 2005.1.4
Object Name Pipe, Elbow
Count 1
Description Stone pipe-head. Round bowl; rectangular faceted stem. Bowl lip and interior has heavy accumulation of black charred material. Red staining.

Original catalog card: "Ceremonial Pipe. Locality: Keshena Reservation, Shawano County, Wis. Received from Old Kema-wun, Sorcerer, McKay Collection. Date: 1919.This pipe was the property of old John Ke-ma-wun, the old Witch Doctor or Sorcerer among the pagan Indians on the Menominee Reservation. He died in 1907, after that his charms and fetishes were sold and destroyed. We have a number of his things in the museum with which he held sway. We secured most of them by purchasing them. Notice it was painted an ox blood red."

Old museum exhibit label: "Ceremonial Pipe. Limestone Painted. Keshena Reservation. Once the property of old Ki-ma-wun, Head Medicine Man among the pagan Menominee Indians. Fred McKay Collection."

See original catalog cards for kinnikinnick drying rack (L181-1-T5) notes "John Rain or Kima-wun" and wooden spoon (L189-3-T1) notes "Menominee Indian by the name of John Rain, or Ki-ma-wun Oke-mash."
Material Stone
Date Pre 1907
Year range to 1907
Dimensions H-11.5 W-4.6 L-15.2 cm
Collecting location Menominee Indian Reservation
Owned Ki-ma-wun Oke-mash/Rain, John
People Rain, John
Ki-ma-wun Oke-mash
Culture Menominee
Collector McKay, Fred W.
Other # L200-75
COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ For access to this image, contact jlloyd@ci.oshkosh.wi.us

NOTICE: This material may be freely used by non-commercial entities for educational and/or research purposes as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation without the permission of The Oshkosh Public Museum. 2007 Oshkosh Public Museum, All Rights Reserved   
Last modified on: August 22, 2007